*new to site and starting a budget rebuild on my 99 k1500 burb* help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toothmane

Reaction score
hello everyone im new to the site and need some help., ive started the task of replacing my head gaskets on my 5.7 and ive run into a problem.. well with lesser words, I *&@#$% up, everything went well until i started to put the motor back together, gaskets went fine, i torqued heads in the proper sequence, everything went well until i went to start it , well holy crap, after trying to turn the motor over for a few seconds it never fired but the motor exhausted out the valve cover breather, well i didn't know what had happened at first. but further inspection led me to find that i had not tightened my rockers in the proper way and i bent all my push rods and possibly my valves. So, i have purchased new rods, and gasket kit and want to make a list of what other parts im going to need , because sadly i think im in for a project now,, this truck is my DD and i seriously need it back ASAP. all help is greatly appreciated .

Big98z71

Reaction score
For starters, vortec heads do not get torqued, they are set with a torque angle finder/meter, pain in the rear. You are gonna want to check your lifters, make sure you didn't compress and blow them. Also gonna want to check cam lobes for damage.

Big2500Red

Reaction score
I did head gaskets on my truck not to long ago, I had it on tdc snugged the rockers down then rotated it again then snugged them down again, then adj them with the engine running. Been running great ever since. and double check and make sure the dist. is clocked right.

toothmane

Reaction score
ive pulled the lifters and inspected the cam , they all seem fine to me , rollers work fine. im getting new intake gaskets tomorrow, and also a new evap purge valve since i broke the fitting for the line while it was -30 outside.