New look for moon gauge cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I decided to finally do something with my 88 k1500 moon gauge cluster that I have wanted to do for a long time. I have never liked the look the "white slug" creeping across the face of the gauge when I am driving and have trouble reading them. I also didn't like the black on black on black combo of the gauge face, the cluster fascia and the surround as it all blended into one dark mass. So, today I removed it and disassembled the lot. That meant right down to removing the face plates from the gauges by punching out those tricky little rivets.
You must be registered for see images attach
Then I masked and sprayed the dials in satin black, followed by laying a white vinyl strip where the orange line had been. Then reassembled them with those little rivets.

Then came the cluster fascia, as my dash is the dark grey I decided that would make an appropriate contrast to the gauges and look correct with the rest of the interior.

While I was at it I replaced the original back lights with LEDs with the hope they would be brighter at night time. Then when it was all back in the truck and taking a test drive I could immediateky notice how much easier it was to read the gauges at a quick glance unlike before.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I decided to finally do something with my 88 k1500 moon gauge cluster that I have wanted to do for a long time. I have never liked the look the "white slug" creeping across the face of the gauge when I am driving and have trouble reading them. I also didn't like the black on black on black combo of the gauge face, the cluster fascia and the surround as it all blended into one dark mass. So, today I removed it and disassembled the lot. That meant right down to removing the face plates from the gauges by punching out those tricky little rivets.
Then I masked and sprayed the dials in satin black, followed by laying a white vinyl strip where the orange line had been. Then reassembled them with those little rivets.

Then came the cluster fascia, as my dash is the dark grey I decided that would make an appropriate contrast to the gauges and look correct with the rest of the interior.

While I was at it I replaced the original back lights with LEDs with the hope they would be brighter at night time. Then when it was all back in the truck and taking a test drive I could immediateky notice how much easier it was to read the gauges at a quick glance unlike before.
Here are a before and after comparison, the second picture had a bit of glare on the plastic cover so doesn't really do it credit but I am stoked with the result. I always try to do custom mods that look close enough to be mistaken for a factory option and I think I think I nailed this one. Let me know what you guys think..

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like it and am going to attempt this on my 1990 dash. How did you get the white line so clean looking? What type of vinyl? and/or source for it?
(Thanks in advance)

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it and am going to attempt this on my 1990 dash. How did you get the white line so clean looking? What type of vinyl? and/or source for it?
(Thanks in advance)
It is a self adhesive vinyl sheet that my wife uses for cutting out labels with so I just grabbed an off cut and cut some 2mm wide strips and laid it over where the orange stripe had been, as you could still see it even after the paint had covered it up. The hardest part was punching the liitle knurled pins out to remove the face plates.

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nicely done. I agree that you nailed it in terms of making it look factory. I may try this on the 88 when if I ever get around to restoring it.

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
You did nice work and made it look factory.

I know I'm the odd man out here so far, but personally, I like the look of the moonie gages with the white ribbon. It has that old-school 80s vibe and I never had trouble reading my gages (as far as I know, only the 1988, 1989 and 1990 GMT400s had the moonie gages).

As they say, to each his own.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You did nice work and made it look factory.

I know I'm the odd man out here so far, but personally, I like the look of the moonie gages with the white ribbon. It has that old-school 80s vibe and I never had trouble reading my gages (as far as I know, only the 1988, 1989 and 1990 GMT400s had the moonie gages).

As they say, to each his own.
Nothing wrong with being the odd man out as that describes me to a tee. I like seeing others posting their creative ideas so thought I should contribute my own. I picked the 1988 since it has a basic old school truck interior that leaves so many opportunities to improve on.