New guy looking at a '98 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Allen_B

Reaction score
Stumbled onto this site (thankfully) as I am researching issues with the GMT400 trucks. In this case, I am looking at purchasing a 1998 Tahoe LS 2DR 4WD to fix up with my daughter.

Looks like a good project for her to learn to take care of a vehicle and to gain pride in what she drives and owns. Did the same with her older sisters. A woman who can't change her own oil, fix the brakes and figure out why her car isn't running right tends to be an expensive PITA so I want to raise my girls right!

The Tahoe we are looking at seems to be in pretty good shape for its age but a few things that I am looking to do so asking the questions here before turning lose of the coin. It shows 230k on the odometer- the seller claims the engine was swapped with a crate motor 30k ago and transmission 20k ago but no paper to prove anything :nono:. From driving it, I'm apt to believe some if it but there is some fluid underneath both at the back of the oil pan and at the back of the transmission. Problem is I'm not smart enough to know if it is actually power steering fluid (looks likely) and maybe an easily replaced leaky rear transmission seal...

The bad:
- There's a lot of slop in the steering but looks to be a routine fix by swapping the rag joint in most cases. I've never done anything with the steering box so wondering if this can be an expensive can of worms...

- The AC is shot but figure about $500 for a new compressor, evap and condenser would be in order and be good as new.

- The brakes "seem" to be weak but work fine; not sure if this is because I'm used to a new vehicle and it's normal for these vehicles. Seller claims the brakes were just done but some black sediment in the fluid (pretty light actually) so would plan to flush and fill the system.

The good:
- Body is solid, minor dings and a few minor rust bubbles under the passenger door but nothing I wouldn't expect from a truck this age.
- 4WD works fine; transfer case shifts with zero apparent issues.
- Transmission is smooth, the fluid looks great with zero burnt smell
- Rides great; smooth with no complaints
- Everything else seems to work (pwr windows, locks, wipers etc) except the right side power mirror.

So the noob question is what are the oddities for the 98 trucks (if any) and what would you folks say is a descent price??

Anyway, hoping for good news and the chance to learn a lot here and would appreciate your thoughts before purchasing!

Allen

Allen_B

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger and pleased with the truck and price...

Hopefully a great project for us!

Attachments

• Day 1 Front.jpg
    Day 1 Front.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Day 1 Interior.jpg
    Day 1 Interior.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Day 1 side1.jpg
    Day 1 side1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Allen_B

Reaction score
Still looking forward to learning a lot here!

Last edited:

Allen_B

Reaction score
Appreciate it!

I think my better half and my daughter are going to start scrubbing the interior today. I have to give credit, my wife is pretty OCD about our vehicles and if she says she's going to clean it, when she's done the only possible way to make it better is to replace it.

Already had my 1st opportunity to cuss this truck- the tailgate wouldn't open. Never fearing the unknown, I took it apart and the linkage from the handle to the latch actuator had come lose- what a crappy design. No retaining clip, no captive screw, nothing; just sits in there so it can jostle lose. With a few "custom modifications" it is reassembled and shouldn't come lose again...

Thanks again and really looking forward to making this Tahoe a great driver and something anyone would be proud to own!

Allen

Allen_B

Reaction score
Got a call from DMV- the plates are on the way and all squared away!

Now I guess I gotta figure out the AC, too damn hot lately!

/r

Allen