Need some pointers and/or advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JK360

Reaction score
Ok Ill try to keep this as short as possible....

I bought my truck (97 1500 5.7) almost three months ago and its been a project ever since. Mainly the heating/coolant system amongst other things. When i bought it it blew semi-warm air. Not nearly warm enough to warm the truck. At first i thought thermostat and replaced it. Nope. I had a dealer test it and they said clogged core and leaking radiator. I replaced both and flushed and switched to reg green coolant and everything seemed to be fixed. About a week later and my water pump went. Replaced that and again everything seemed fine. Then a week after that i noticed it was blowing cool at red lights and when idling. It would blow hot when moving. After reading here I figured i didnt get all the air out of the system. I burped it good and made sure all the levels were good. Again everything seemed fine. After a couple runs with it i smell antifreeze but its not leaking anywhere. Also my level in the reserve tank is slowly going down. Im assuming its the manifold gasket.

The truck has 190,000 on the clock. The gaskets have already been replaced atleast once (prev owner left reciepts). I have no problems digging in and doing the job, but heres where I need guidance.... Im sure the truck hasnt been tuned up in a while so i was thinking id also change the cap, rotor, wires, plugs, pcv, and clean all the other sensors. Also my truck has been idling rough and sputtering only when in gear at red lights and Ive read it could be a number of things. The tune up could fix it, the manifold gasket could fix it, or they wont effect it and it could be a bunch of other stuff. Im planning on replacing the engine as soon as i have enough money to so should i really drop all this money into it now? I priced out new cap, rotor, wires, plugs, gasket set, heater quick disconnect, temp sensor, oil, antifreeze, valve cover gasket, new intake bolts, pcv valve, clean and or replace egr, and other minor things and im looking at like $300-$400 just for the tune up. If that doesnt solve the sputtering issues who knows how much more it will cost. I was also debating on swithching to the newer style CSFI to MPFI and thats another $300. I dont want to keep throwing money at the old engine. Id rather just do the minimum needed to keep it running mostly healthy. What are your guys thoughts and opinions?

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems like you have more than one issue, heater issue and coolant loss. The heating sounds like a blockage somewhere, every time you replace a component your heat works for a while then plugs back up. Maybe one of the lines to core? Or the core itself. Or thermostat (even some brand new parts are faulty, it happens)

Coolant loss, rent a pressure tester and try to find the leak. SO MANY places to lose coolant, from hoses to engine blocks and everything inbetween.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As for spending $$$ on motor....... Every dime you spend on this motor can be transfered over to the next motor.

JK360

Reaction score
Sorry, i wasnt clear. The heat works fine now, im just losing coolant somewhere.

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you replace the gasket in the manifold where the themostat is mine didn't have one when I did a thermostat but I also drained my over flow in bout a week and then I went n bought the gasket put it in no more loss