Need Opinions - Transmission Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah me

Yeah, me too. The idle issue has been fixed. It appears the shifting issue may be a different problem. I've been doing some research, and on the 4160e transmissions. This symptom isn't exactly unheard of.
@tayto mentioned ignition switch, I'd look into that as a possibility as well...Just note that if you end up replacing the ignition switch yourself there's a VATS reset procedure you'll have to follow if your truck is equipped with GM's vehicle anti-theft system (not sure what the first year was for that system). Otherwise, truck will never fire up.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this is exactly what's happening with my truck. If I turn it off, and turn back on after a few minutes the harsh 1-2 shift goes away. It's a pressure issue. And it only occurs after driving on the highway for extended periods of time at speeds of 65 and 75 mph. And then slow down to a stop or low speed driving. Like inner city speeds.
Have you conducted a pressure test combined with a live data feed test drive to confirm it's a pressure-driven issue or just going by what you see in that screenshot?

My advice: Don't spend all weekend worrying about it, losing sleep, etc..enjoy the holiday and let the shop dig into it next week.

Kylebg94

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you conducted a pressure test combined with a live data feed test drive to confirm it's a pressure-driven issue or just going by what you see in that screenshot?

My advice: Don't spend all weekend worrying about it, losing sleep, etc..enjoy the holiday and let the shop dig into it next week.
No, but I have read several post on forums like that. With the 4160e, and the ones who have figured out what the issue was all said that the pressure increasing, is due to something internally failing in the transmission causing the pressure to build up at highway speeds and then when you slow down to a stop. The the harsh shifting happens. And will continue until you turn it off. And let the pressure go down. That's been my exact experience. Like you we're mentioning the tps sensor could be at fault. And I had a tps sensor code. I've heard that a bad solenoid valve was the cause of some others. But also that a bad pcm, ect was the culprit. What I can say, since wensday. Anytime I drive at highway speeds for more than 15 minutes or so. And slow down to a stop. The service engine light pops up and then it's shifts extremely harsh 1-2 and a little on 3 to 4th is perfectly fine. Stops after turning off for a few minutes. Tbh we don't have alot good transmission guys around here. I would have to drive an hour away to find someone. So I have been after trying to figure it out if someone else has had similar issues or not. And what caused it. To get a general idea of what it could be.

Kylebg94

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah your right man, you enjoy your weekend too.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a tps sensor code... ...The service engine light pops up and then it's shifts extremely harsh 1-2 and a little on 3 to 4th is perfectly fine. Stops after turning off for a few minutes.
Connect a scan tool, look for "codes" but also examine the data stream. Find out what the computer wants you to know. This seems to be a "limp-home" issue. The computer is programmed to increase line pressure when certain sensor signals go out-of-range.

Follow service manual procedures for the codes you find.

For the record, when I bought my '97 K2500 7.4L/4L80E, I had a severe engine misfire and a torque converter clutch that never engaged. Figured I had two potentially-expensive repairs to make, and the price of the truck adjusted downward accordingly.

Turned out that I had a cracked spark plug in #8; and when the computer senses misfire, it disables the TCC. One spark plug fixed both problems, and the truck suddenly became an under-priced bargain.