Need help with new engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NathanY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed a new 5.7 in my c2500. It seems to run alright, but its making a funny noise on the top front of the motor. It sounds like thunk thunk thunk, like an air leak or something, not like metal noise. I am at a loss. My mechanics at my shop are at a loss. We are diesel mechanics, not car mechanics, so we rarely work with gas engines. It almost sounds like an exhaust leak but its at the front of the motor in the thermostat area. I sprayed some carb cleaner around the intake to check for vacuum leaks, and nothing. I am at a loss on this.

NathanY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah, it seems to get quieter as the engine warms, but it does not go completely away.

NathanY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a 1999 C2500 5.7 Vortec. Just for the hell of it, I took the serpentine belt off and started it. There was no noise at all, just a smooth running engine. I put the belt back on and the noise came back. I dont know what it could be. New water pump, new alternator, new fan and clutch, but something is making a thunk noise.

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the belt off and spin the pulleys by hand, other than the crank they should spin, some easier than others, but you may feel or hear which pulley is bad that way

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check the tensioner pulley also does it have a/c? i've heard the compressors make some funky noises