Need help, truck died while driving 96 3500 7.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeeperguy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to get coffee this morning and ran fine, got almost home and it all of a sudden sputtered and just stopped running. Cranks fine. Fuel pressure is at 55 with key on, spark is good, new crank sensor, and still no start????? Please help!!

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Spec is 56-62 for the 7.4. Though the small blocks run 60-66, 55 sounds a little low.
Try some starting fluid. If it runs, its a fuel pressure problem.

Jeeperguy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect a sudden cylinder compression issue. If you have spark, you likely have a fuel problem.

Injector fuse(s) good?
Fuel pressure goes to 60ish when cranking, fuel is not the issue. Even with starting fluid there is no change. After the new crank sensor it stumbled for a quick second, and then nothing. There is a slight back fire, and I mean slight, more like a puff ?

Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Checked for fouled plugs? If its puffing, it's trying to start. If you've been cranking, they're likely soaked with gasoline. Wet plugs dont fire, change your plugs

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a distributor cap fail in similar way. Just died and would not start except for occasional back fire. Still had some spark

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And that's why you need to diagnose further...
Do you have an arc tester? Not a spark tester, an arc tester will test for proper coil voltage, not just if there's power getting to your plugs

Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You thread the end out and see how much power the coil is producing, through the contacts in the distributor, out the wires. It ranges from 20, 000 to 30,000 to 40,000 volts

Jeeperguy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You thread the end out and see how much power the coil is producing, through the contacts in the distributor, out the wires. It ranges from 20, 000 to 30,000 to 40,000 volts
I'll try it, but don't think that is the issue either, Has very good spark on all plug wires. I'm thinking it's something with distributor. Remember seeing something about these models having a distributor issue.