need help/ideas of what to look for from this noise I keep hearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsleeper81

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
So I have a 2000 k3500 cc 4x4 when I bought it a few months back the PO did not take care of it at all.
lots of rattles first things noticed, sway bar link bushings missing and replace with duct tape by PO.
(Replaced these)
next thing calipers noisy and not working right replaced these.
then rear shocks shot no bushing and no support replaced these.
the noise I'm still hearing sounds like it might be coming from the front.
I hear the noise a whole lot when going over bumps and if I'm on a bumpy road it feels like it is louder and worse, it also tends to make this same rattling when turning at slower speeds .
As a matter of fact at highway speeds it drives smooth and right it does need an allignment but no noise.
today I lifted the truck to check to see if the hubs where making any noise those seem good no noise nor play the front shocks are dirty from road dirt but other than that the bushings are nice and tight looking and feeling.
the upper and lower ball joints look good old but good.
I've tried pulling and pushing alll the steering components they all feel really tight.
front axles when sitting on the ground when trying to turn them the do make a very minor click which at least my 01 silverado 4x4 made the same noise like this when it was new so I"m assuming this is normal.
are there any areas I"m missing any ideas as to what to look at would be great.
I don't want to just start throwing parts at it like this just yet I want to fix the problems then work from there.

jsleeper81

Reaction score
so I was down looking over the truck more today still can't seem to find the noise had both the front wheels off the ground jacked from the frame itself. however I did find out the pass side torsion bar was cranked so I went ahead and lowered that ended up going about 1/4" to 1/2" to low. I don't think this was the probelem but just can't seem find the problem at all.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you duplicate the sound while bouncing the truck on the ground? I had some shocks that rattled on the top bolt once, you couldn't tell when it was on a jack though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slick96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 96 a has developed a very similar rattle. It does it going down gravel roads and on pavement in town when you hit bumps and go across cross walks ect..... I can't find it either.

jsleeper81

Reaction score
Can you duplicate the sound while bouncing the truck on the ground? I had some shocks that rattled on the top bolt once, you couldn't tell when it was on a jack though.

no I have tried pushing it from the side back and fourth jumping up and down on it even when the truck was in the air lifted from the frame I tried pulling on the shocks thinking that was the problem but no sound there solid. this one here has me stumped.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was there any play in the ball joints? With a jack under the lower control arm, use a pry bar to lift up the bottom of the tire.

As a random suggestion, there's a shield between the rotor and hub, I guess that could rattle around if it is rusted apart.