NBS trany issues. (You guys are kinder than the GMFS group)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys, My mom has a 2002 GM and its no longer shifting out of second, when it does it slips up to about 3500 rpm and slowly starts to grab. The fluid is red but smells burnt. 1'st,2nd and Reverse all work fine. Truck has 188,000km (116k miles). I'm just trying to figure out whats more likely, clutches completely gone, or shift solenoid. Any input would be great. For reference it is an ECSB 4x4 5.3L with the electronic transfercase.

Reaction score
what happens if you put it in second? friends truck did the same thing and it was solenoid. and thanks for the compliment about the gmfs guys +! rep

Well that's what I mean, over there the first five responses would be "use the search". I have, and found the two most likely options.

But yeah, first and second are fine, it's shifting to third that's the issue. Talked to a friend who owns a tranny shop and he said its more than likely clutches. Figured I'd get the opinions of folks here as well.

Reaction score
sorry for the late response, no internet at home. It shifts fine from 1st to 2nd, but when it goes into 3rd either by manually shifting or using drive, it winds out to about 3500 and slowly accelerates but you can feel the slipping.

Reaction score
Got it scheduled for a rebuild in two days. $1800 and that's a deal because i know the two mechanics the guy employs. Everyone else is looking about 2200. Thank god the tranny in my OBS is good.... for now. Thanks for the reply's everyone, I always like to have a couple of second opinions.