Nbs overhead console in 95 regular cab Cheyenne

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wallace83

Reaction score
I have installed a 2005 nbs short overhead console in my regular cab 1995 Chevrolet Cheyenne C2500. It's the console with 2 map lights and cubby hole. The wiring on it is orange wire, black wire and a grey with black stripe wire. My factory dome light has 2 map lights on it. And the wiring fp r the factory dome/map lights are orange wire and a white wire. I wired color to color and when I hook the black wire from the new console to chassis ground the dome light and footwell lights will not turn off :-/ I need help???

You must be registered for see images attach

Crytone

Reaction score
Some vehicles use a switching power (positive) switch and others use a switching ground (negative) switch for their interior lighting. I assume your truck uses a switch on the ground for it's interior lights and the console is a switching positive. So when you ground the new console it completes the circuit for the interior lights. To test my theory, check for continuity from the ground and negative pins on the new console and your truck to ground, in different switch positions obviously.

The fix isn't as simple as just swapping the positive and negative terminals unfortunately. But we can cross that bridge after you check the continuity.

Wallace83

Reaction score
Some vehicles use a switching power (positive) switch and others use a switching ground (negative) switch for their interior lighting. I assume your truck uses a switch on the ground for it's interior lights and the console is a switching positive. So when you ground the new console it completes the circuit for the interior lights. To test my theory, check for continuity from the ground and negative pins on the new console and your truck to ground, in different switch positions obviously.

The fix isn't as simple as just swapping the positive and negative terminals unfortunately. But we can cross that bridge after you check the continuity.
It's just crazy how I hooked it up, the console and the map lights on my dome will work correctly. But yet then the footwell lights and main dome light stays on. But I Did notice when I touched the black wire from the console to the headliner metal it has a small spark. But I just woke up and I'll try to test the continuity from the areas you said to check. And yes the main dome light and footwell lights work with the door pins and with the dimmer switch next to the head light switch.

Wallace83

Reaction score
It's just crazy how I hooked it up, the console and the map lights on my dome will work correctly. But yet then the footwell lights and main dome light stays on. But I Did notice when I touched the black wire from the console to the headliner metal it has a small spark. But I just woke up and I'll try to test the continuity from the areas you said to check. And yes the main dome light and footwell lights work with the door pins and with the dimmer switch next to the head light switch.
And I just want the console lights to work when you press the buttons. Not when you open the door.

GUTHRIE

Reaction score
Did you ever get it wired up the way you wanted it to work. I thought about putting one in my 96 but wandered how you mounted it to cab