NBS master cylinder Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look on the sticker in the glovebox. You've most-likely got JB5. The little JN3 brakes were discontinued a few years before your truck was made. Those had a 1" bore master, with a 34mm or 36mm QTU at the back, a smaller booster, smaller pistons in the front calipers, and thinner rotors.

If you have JB5, you had a 1 1/8 bore master with the 40mm QTU.

JB6 was the same master and booster, same front brakes as JB5, but with 11.x" Duo-Servo drums in the rear instead of the shiity 10" leading/trailing shoe drums.

Zach Ondash

Reaction score
How can I determine the factory bore diameter as well as the brake code(ie; jb5, jb6, etc.)
Or what if I just delete the abs entirely? I have bigger tires so the vss isn’t going to play super nicely with the abs. Would save me some money on having it bled somewhere with a tech 1

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
In my case you delete ABS, Power Booster, and redo all the brake lines in one fowl swoop. NBS master, Wilwood prop valve, Ni-cop lines. But I am building a Drag/Street truck so a wild cam and turbo setup wont produce enough vacuum for my brakes. And no I wont be running a vac pump

You must be registered for see images attach

jgreen16

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This may be something to do with my '90. About a week ago the pedal went real soft suddenly. Checked the fluid level in the master, and the front reservoir was basically empty. I don't see any leaks anywhere.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my case you delete ABS, Power Booster, and redo all the brake lines in one fowl swoop. NBS master, Wilwood prop valve, Ni-cop lines. But I am building a Drag/Street truck so a wild cam and turbo setup wont produce enough vacuum for my brakes. And no I wont be running a vac pump

You must be registered for see images attach
What calipers? The pistons better be enormous.

I had a '75 Dodge Dart with manual front disc brakes. Took a lot of pedal effort to stop the car. I'm really concerned that your big-diameter master cylinder, with no booster, is going to have very high pedal effort.
This may be something to do with my '90. About a week ago the pedal went real soft suddenly. Checked the fluid level in the master, and the front reservoir was basically empty. I don't see any leaks anywhere.
Front reservoir = smaller reservoir = rear brakes. Rust hole in the brake tubes? Failed wheel cylinder(s)?

jgreen16

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I had a '75 Dodge Dart with manual front disc brakes. Took a lot of pedal effort to stop the car. I'm really concerned that your big-diameter master cylinder, with no booster, is going to have very high pedal effort.

Front reservoir = smaller reservoir = rear brakes. Rust hole in the brake tubes? Failed wheel cylinder(s)?
That was what I was concentrating on when looking for signs of fluid leaking. After topping it up, and losing it again, I'm not finding anything.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was the rear reservoir, it could be leaking directly into the brake booster. But if it's the front reservoir, it's pretty-much got to be an external leak.

jgreen16

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it was the rear reservoir, it could be leaking directly into the brake booster. But if it's the front reservoir, it's pretty-much got to be an external leak.
And, for what it's worth, the pedal suddenly went almost to the floor when pulling into a parking space. Up until that point, everything was fine. Seems like whatever it is let loose then.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score

2.94" piston, 6.78" squared for piston area, LSMFG rear disk setup with the GM metric calipers. pedal ratio of ~6.5:1 according to Dave @ manualbrakes.com who made the bracket. I have an adjustable prop valve too so I should be perfectly fine. If I run into issues Dave stated that he would help me figure out what to do to correct the ratio and what to do moving forward.

xAFNYx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm so confused.
I just want my brake pedal to engage much sooner than half way depressed lol.

I bought this https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-19359-m630031.aspx because I've read everywhere that upgrading the master cylinder is the answer to this as well as adjusting the shoes outward a bunch.

I haven't yet done the install and adjustment because I read this thread and now im afraid of it not stopping haha