Mysteriously unfillable gas tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I noticed it the very first time I went to fill up my Suburban over a decade ago. What initially tipped me off was I heard/saw the pump slowing down before it hit $100. Under normal circumstances (Except if you pre-pay a certain dollar amount) it's either flowing or it's not. That combined with the fact that it stopped at exactly $100 was enough to make me put it together and swipe the card again.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I noticed it the very first time I went to fill up my Suburban over a decade ago. What initially tipped me off was I heard/saw the pump slowing down before it hit $100. Under normal circumstances (Except if you pre-pay a certain dollar amount) it's either flowing or it's not. That combined with the fact that it stopped at exactly $100 was enough to make me put it together and swipe the card again.

This.

MattZ

Reaction score
When he (my name is alex) posted

"manually pull back the '********' or whatever that black plastic bit is called"

I blew soda out my nose.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score

Well now I feel woefully unobservant.

When he (my name is alex) posted

"manually pull back the '********' or whatever that black plastic bit is called"

I blew soda out my nose.

:wink:

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
Filled her up completely for the second time today. At today's gas station I was cut off at $94.80 (and got to $95 even with one more squeeze). So seeing how different gas stations seem to have different cut offs, I'm not feeling quite as bad about not noticing this pricing limit...

On the other hand I can now more accurately gauge my MPG, which was just shy of 9 for this tank. Mostly city driving, but still, that's pretty abysmal.

Last edited:

mistaake

Reaction score
Filled her up completely for the second time today. At today's gas station I was cut off at $94.80 (and got to $95 even with one more squeeze). So seeing how different gas stations seem to have different cut offs, I'm not feeling quite as bad as I about not noticing this pricing limit...

On the other hand I can now more accurately gauge my MPG, which was just shy of 9 for this tank. Mostly city driving, but still, that's pretty abysmal.

I only get 2-3 more than you (mostly dense traffic city traffic) and I don't have a big block. So don't feel bad about it :D

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
I only get 2-3 more than you (mostly dense traffic city traffic) and I don't have a big block. So don't feel bad about it :D

That's still like 20-30% better, but yeah, I guess when it comes down to it, I'd rather have the 454 and lose a few mpg (not that I need a 454 for any damn reason).

Makes me feel a little better.

What?

Reaction score
You can call local gas station and request the cut-off price at the pump. There's one place I go to nearby that I can go over $100 without prepay. Most places are $75 or so, I put my effort to fill up there all the time.

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
if swiping your card fixed the issue, I bet your card has a $75 limit on a gas purchase or something and the gas station was turning the pump off- do you use debit or credit when you fill up? I remember stations in my area doing this a year or so ago when we were having high gas prices and fuel shortages- $75 and pump shut off- hard to deal with when you have a 30+ gallon tank and gas was $3.79 a gallon.