My other '97

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
This is my other '97 C/K, the most recent to my fleet. I bought it about a year ago, for steal at $1300. And I got a free speed square included in that price!

Anyways, when I was shopping for a truck, my goal was to find something that was a 4x4 and, if possible, a manual. Well apparently I struck out because I saw this at a wholesale car lot. Saw it was a 4x4, went to look inside, opened the drivers door and immediately noticed the three pedals on the floor. I drove it around the block and fell in love with it! I got back and haggled the original $2200 price down to the $1300 and drove off that lot with the title!

I was so excited to find a 4x4 manual, that I overlooked some of the problems it has:
  • Drivers door has to be slammed HARD to get it to close.
  • Passenger door will not open from inside.
  • Both driver and pass windows will fall of the track, even if rolling them down 1 inch.
  • A squeak coming from font suspension, still haven't figured it out yet.
  • Hole the size of my hand in the rocker panel near the rear of the cab.
  • Can hear the engine through the speakers.
  • Transmission grinds in all gears.
So currently as of writing this, I am rebuilding the engine and the transmission I took to a local shop that I've had work on my 400K C1500. I will post pictures of the rebuild in the appropriate section.

This truck may have just as many issues as my blue one, but at least the A/C and heater works!
You must be registered for see images attach
I literally bought the truck and drove it straight to work.
I'm pretty sure that gear lever is out of a 10 speed tractor

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Even with the issues listed, I still don’t think that’s a bad deal. Looking forward to see what you do with this!
Thank you! My short plan is to finish rebuilding the engine and once I get the transmission back, I want to get in there and get it running. I miss three pedals!!
Long term plan is to make this my main tow rig, and get as close to 10K that I can. I would also like to do a SAS, and at least put a diff locker in the rear.
My really really long term plan is to replace the 4.3 with a diesel, but just not any diesel, a 6.5 Detroit. But these are all future projects, if I get to them. You know, time and money...

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Wow, a manual!!!! I'm jealous.
I also like the first generation mirrors.
Yes, the gear knob seems to come from a big truck it also had the splitter button.

Very nice truck!!:cool::cool:
Thank you!! After I learned to drive stick, it took me 10 years to find one of my own. And it just happens to be a 4x4!
I like the mirrors as well, probably will paint them black at some point.