My New 1996 GMC YUKON GT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone for the kind words.... Well I did end up replacing the seat covers for it. Until now I avoided showing the interior. I posted another thread here to document my fix. http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?16247-CAL-TREND-SEAT-COVERS

BTW.. The heat in this truck is diminishing. I no doubt believe it is the DEXCOOL as I previously complained about with my old Jimmy. I'll be flushing the cooling system as well as backflushing the heater core out sooner than I wanted once I find a warmer day here.

iman312

Reaction score
Greetings GMT400 purists. My first post here on this forum dedicated solely to the TRUE GM truck platform. I have owned 4 GMC trucks in my life: a 1986 short box pickup, a 1988 short box step-side pickup (which I missed dearly and still have the photos), and then a 2000 Jimmy, Although the Jimmy served me faithfully for the past 7 years it was time to move on. At 6'3" the Jimmy was cramped, had no width hauling capacity, plus the gas mileage wasn't that great at about 15 MPG. I just acquired locally off of CL a 1996 YUKON GT, black with a burgundy interior. I looked at many 2 door Yukons and Tahoes over the past few months and I had a few requirements in mind: 1) It must be black, 2) have under 150K miles, 3) it had to be as original as possible, and 4) fit my meager budget. A tall order for a 15 year old plus vehicle. I consider myself very fortunate to have found my dream truck. A great start to the new year after a very rough 2012 for me. I can remember when these were in production, but could never afford one back then. The truck has 145K as it sits. It was well maintained: new tires, brakes, battery. All power options work. never smoked in. Paint is original with minor rust at the the bottom of the door skins -to be expected where I live in the rust belt. I already remedied that last weekend after I washed it when it warmed up at 45 degrees. The interior is very clean and original with the exception of the common torn diver-side leather seat cover. My old Jimmy although reliable, was a toy in comparison with the build/ride quality of this Yukon. There are of course some minor issues I intend on fixing myself with the expertise help from members of this forum. A huge thank you to those who created, maintain, and make this forum what it is... CHEERS! -Mike

I have this exact vehicle. Same color and all. Mine has 54,500 miles on it. It is in near perfect condition.
I have pictures if anybody is interested in seeing them.
My good friend bought it brand new. He also had two pickups so this vehicle spent most of it's life in his shop out of the weather. Unfortunately he died a few years ago.
I was lucky enough to buy it from his estate. It has the big motor and transmission for towing and the tow package. I could probably be talked out of it.

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply and the loss of your friend... Congratulations on your acquisition however. After nearly year and a half of ownership this for me has been the best vehicle I ever owned. If yours was maintained as well as mine as it sounds, it should reward you with many more years of satisfaction. If I had the money and room for another I would definitely be in the market for another. Cheers!