My New 1996 GMC YUKON GT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Greetings GMT400 purists. My first post here on this forum dedicated solely to the TRUE GM truck platform. I have owned 4 GMC trucks in my life: a 1986 short box pickup, a 1988 short box step-side pickup (which I missed dearly and still have the photos), and then a 2000 Jimmy, Although the Jimmy served me faithfully for the past 7 years it was time to move on. At 6'3" the Jimmy was cramped, had no width hauling capacity, plus the gas mileage wasn't that great at about 15 MPG. I just acquired locally off of CL a 1996 YUKON GT, black with a burgundy interior. I looked at many 2 door Yukons and Tahoes over the past few months and I had a few requirements in mind: 1) It must be black, 2) have under 150K miles, 3) it had to be as original as possible, and 4) fit my meager budget. A tall order for a 15 year old plus vehicle. I consider myself very fortunate to have found my dream truck. A great start to the new year after a very rough 2012 for me. I can remember when these were in production, but could never afford one back then. The truck has 145K as it sits. It was well maintained: new tires, brakes, battery. All power options work. never smoked in. Paint is original with minor rust at the the bottom of the door skins -to be expected where I live in the rust belt. I already remedied that last weekend after I washed it when it warmed up at 45 degrees. The interior is very clean and original with the exception of the common torn diver-side leather seat cover. My old Jimmy although reliable, was a toy in comparison with the build/ride quality of this Yukon. There are of course some minor issues I intend on fixing myself with the expertise help from members of this forum. A huge thank you to those who created, maintain, and make this forum what it is... CHEERS! -Mike

Attachments

• YUKONGT_LEFT.jpg
    YUKONGT_LEFT.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 62
  • YUKONGT_RIGHT.jpg
    YUKONGT_RIGHT.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 36
  • YUKONGT_FRONT.jpg
    YUKONGT_FRONT.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 38
  • YUKONGT_REAR.jpg
    YUKONGT_REAR.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 35

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I WANT IT!!!!!

:welcome: to the forum! I would kill to get my hands on one of those... always loved the 2dr's- In ever even knew there was a GT!

And don't answer if you don't want to, but you how much did you have to shell out for that work of art?

Moore

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So clean, damn I'm jealous. What are your plans?

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice clean Yukon GT don't see a lot of them up this way

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
Thanks so much Vortec Lover and others for the kind welcome and compliments. I really don't mind saying how much I paid for it. But I am going to avoid it so that others don't misconstrue me as one who is gloating over my luck which has been pretty bad lately. And luck it was for me this time around. I was the first one who called the ad within 1 hour after it was posted, and set up a meet for the following afternoon. Fortunate for me the owner was a straight shooter and a Mopar fan who got it through his sister's divorce. He honored his commitment to show it to me first although many others called him after me. I couldn't tell you how many other 2 doors I missed on the Chicago CL market because of that same situation. My frustration was certainly at its peak and now I am glad it is over. VERY STRESSFUL!!! I still keep thinking something hidden is wrong with it. But being a mechanic, everything checks out just fine other than some minor issues.

As for my plans... Very soon I am going to get some fitted seat covers The ripped driver seat is an eyesore and pretty bad even though they did put some poorly fitted universal seat covers on the fronts. Fixing them properly with leather replacement covers now is not in my budget. I have been looking at the two-tone red/black Neo-Supreme covers from Dash Designs. They have a picture of them on their front page here: http://dashdesigns.com/Products.aspx?Pid=2 They make them with the separate arm and headrest configuration Rock Auto sells them for $120.00 which is about half of what the manufacturer retails them for on their site. If anyone has any experience with this company's products please feel free to chime in

In the immediate future I want to find a black bull bar for the front bumper. I am hoping to find one cheap on CL or a bone yard. A low-profile smoke black bug deflector is also in my plans along with some black carbon fiber dash trim customization if I find a kit.

Mechanically, when it warms up towards Spring. I am going to PM the cooling system. Nothing is wrong with it now, but I want to flush it and change the intake gaskets, hoses, water pump, belt etc.as well as replace the Dexcool with a quality green coolant. I have had bad experiences with Dexcool especially in my old Jimmy.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
good idea to flush all that stuff out- never know how long it has been in there either. Might as well do a full fluid / fuel filter / air filter upgrade, heh?

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice I like them one sold here by my house for 3K I wish I would have had the money.

Tricky's_Limitedhoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
#1 it's black :), and you have a beaut there. The owner may have taken well maintenance on it especially to have paint that clean. Well I welcome you from Chi-Town since I see you mention there, all plans sound good, but the bug deflector, waste of money. I had two and of course the snow took it right off some years back. With the winters we have being having you may get away with it. With the snow and ice on the hood and when the engine warms the hood up and then a nice stop, swoosh the sheet of ice,snow and deflector gone. Took me twice to figure that one out :(. But that is one clean truck and good luck with her and your future plans. Any help we are just a thread away.

Sent from a Phone Booth using Tapatalk

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I say leave her just as she is, maybe with a small lift and and bigger tires- those 2dr. Tahoes/Yukons/Blazers came awesome from the factory.