Move the column shifter to the floor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snbdaddy210

Reaction score
I have a 92 Chevy I’m thinking about building a center console for. While planning this I had the thought of putting in a floor shifter. Is this possible? I’m sure it has to be right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snbdaddy210

Reaction score
Anything is possible.

Doing this right will require a back-drive system so that the shift indicator on the column, and the ignition lock cylinder can still lock the steering column in Park and release the ignition key.

What is a back-drive system? Is that something I can find at an auto parts store?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll never find it at a parts store. You have most of it--maybe all of it--already.

Right now, you have a lever on the column, when you move it, it turns the column, it moves linkage down to the transmission. Also, in moving the column, it allows the key to be inserted and removed in "Park", and it moves the shift indicator on the dash.

You need to add the floor shifter to move the transmission lever...but you need to KEEP all the rest of the linkage, so that when the trans lever moves, all the rest of the linkage moves, your column moves and your shift indicator works.

You'll have to modify the column so that your original linkage works in reverse, (instead of the columm lever moving linkage down to the trans, the trans lever moves linkage up to the column) without having to lift the shift lever on the column to go through the gears. I've never done that. I imagine there's some sort of spring interlock, and you'll have to dick with it to make it all work without the lever on the column.

GM did all this on a bazillion Camaros and Firebirds, for example, with floor shift. Almost certainly on other floor-shift cars as well.

snbdaddy210

Reaction score
You'll never find it at a parts store. You have most of it--maybe all of it--already.

Right now, you have a lever on the column, when you move it, it turns the column, it moves linkage down to the transmission. Also, in moving the column, it allows the key to be inserted and removed in "Park", and it moves the shift indicator on the dash.

You need to add the floor shifter to move the transmission lever...but you need to KEEP all the rest of the linkage, so that when the trans lever moves, all the rest of the linkage moves, your column moves and your shift indicator works.

You'll have to modify the column so that your original linkage works in reverse, (instead of the columm lever moving linkage down to the trans, the trans lever moves linkage up to the column) without having to lift the shift lever on the column to go through the gears. I've never done that. I imagine there's some sort of spring interlock, and you'll have to dick with it to make it all work without the lever on the column.

GM did all this on a bazillion Camaros and Firebirds, for example, with floor shift. Almost certainly on other floor-shift cars as well.

Thank you very much for the info and your time. Do you think it would be possible to just do away with the indicator and lock? And just have it be more like a manual shift?