Motor Ticking help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyDude84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, long time no see! ok.. so it looks like the ol girl has developed a ticking noise that has progressively gotten worse. It happens at start up and then it goes away after warming up. I am trying to figure out if its the lifters or the manifold/donut gaskets. It weird because at the end of the tail pipe the fumes coming out sound like its "chugging" as well. So we have both a ticking up front and a chugging in the rear of the tail pipe.

98 k1500 4wd ext cab 5.7 motor

Thanks guys!

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Sounds like a weak lifter to me. I had to replace them a few years ago on my 4.3. It started off with a "tapping" sound from the engine and a bad engine miss for just a short time when I started it up... Then the lifter would build up pressure and it would run fine. It eventually got worse and worse until it took a few minutes to clear up.
Here's a video of mine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLV7NdtZ5J0

ChevyDude84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys, I cant get to the video right now (at work) would a lifter cause a chugging sound in the exhaust? almost like the gas is expelling in intervals "putt, putt, putt"... all of this only happens on start up, once it reaches operating temp, it goes away....

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a lifter that was ticking a while back and I used a quart of Rislone oil treatment with my next oil change and it helped a ton. I changed the oil sooner than "necessary" and it was black. I changed it again and used Rislone again and the ticking went away completely and hasn't been back. That was about 20k miles ago.

gmfan454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To go along with what borahshadow said, I had a ticking in the top of my motor when I had an NBS 01 tahoe with the 5.3 after about 150K on it. People call it piston slap. But then it kept staying longer and longer. Turns out, when I changed to synthetic, it broke up some large carbon pieces in my motor and a piece got stuck in a lifter (mechanic's diagnosis). He told me to change the oil and put in a quart of transmission fluid and one less quart of oil than normal. Drive it till the tick is gone, then change the oil. I did it reluctantly and it worked. Piston slap was gone and never had a tick again. I asked him after, what the transmission fluid did. He said it has a lot more detergents in it than normal oil and it cleaned out the carbon that was stuck. Not sure if it is the same issue, but just what worked for me with a top of the motor tick.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
To go along with what borahshadow said, I had a ticking in the top of my motor when I had an NBS 01 tahoe with the 5.3 after about 150K on it. People call it piston slap. But then it kept staying longer and longer. Turns out, when I changed to synthetic, it broke up some large carbon pieces in my motor and a piece got stuck in a lifter (mechanic's diagnosis). He told me to change the oil and put in a quart of transmission fluid and one less quart of oil than normal. Drive it till the tick is gone, then change the oil. I did it reluctantly and it worked. Piston slap was gone and never had a tick again. I asked him after, what the transmission fluid did. He said it has a lot more detergents in it than normal oil and it cleaned out the carbon that was stuck. Not sure if it is the same issue, but just what worked for me with a top of the motor tick.

Good call! I learned about that from my Auto Mechanics teacher (ahem!) a LONG time ago!

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never heard of using ATF but I'd imagine that rislone probably is just full of detergents so it's probably two ways of accomplishing the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I've heard this a few times... Even know a guy who's done this to every vehicle he's owned with every oil change.

I've heard mixed opinions on this... Mostly that it is a bad idea on modern engines... But if I thought my engine was sludged, I wouldn't be afraid to do it maybe just before an oil change. Even then, I'd probably just stick with seafoam.