motor swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zachb91

Reaction score
How hard is a 5.7 vortec to pull an swap another 1 in. Got my new motor coming and just qondering what kinda challenge this will be. Ive swaped the motor in my old truck an it was a 5,3 so this mightne easier

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well it's pretty simple if you have a engine hoist/cherry picker. You undo the sensors, take off the ac compressor, alternator, undo starter wire, undo fuel lines and throttle, unbolt exhaust manifold at the joint that has 3 bolts, and undo the torque convertor bolts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Watch for the oil pressure sending unit and the plugs on the back of the distributor. Bell housing is about the same as a 5.3 except there is no center bolt, there is a ground strap on the back of the passenger head, and one near the fuel pump pad. If it is a removable bell-housing trans, the little strut bars from the motor mounts to the bell housing are a pain to get the upper bolts out of (18mm) and the starter has to come off to get the dust cover off.Transmission lines are clipped to the oil pan. Fuel lines can be a PITA depending on where you take them apart. Other than that, its pretty straightforward. If you pull it with the factory loop near the power steering pump, be careful where you hook the other end of the chain, it is really easy to break the coil on one of these engines. Thats about it. I have done so many i can do them in my sleep.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
BTW, if it has the strut bars from the engine mounts to the bell-housing, they NEED to be put back on it. I have seen several cracked transmissions from leaving them off.

zachb91

Reaction score
its coming out of a 1997 gmc k1500. these motors are hard to find here in indiana. 800 for 1 with 80000 miles on it

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The hardest part is remembering where everything goes. Painters tape and a sharpie to label connectors and ziploc bags for all loose parts. A digital camera is your friend.

Start a thread, post lots of pics, ask questions, and in the future you'll be helping someone else.