Mobil1 High Mileage 5w-30?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Any of you guys run this stuff in your TBI engine? I switched my 95 to it because apparently my local Wallyworld is having trouble keeping my long-time favorite, Pennzoil Platinum, on the shelves. I probably spent a half-hour standing in the oil aisle reading up on it on BITOG. According to the folks over there, Mobil1 HM is on the thicker side of the the 30-weight spectrum, and since it only carries the older SL API-rating, it has higher ZDDP content.

My 95 has over 245,000 miles on the original motor, has a rear main seal leak that I've neglected for too long now, and no doubt the valve seals have some wear. Normally, I'd lose a quart of oil within 3,000-4,500 miles. I'm now past the 3,000 mile mark with M1HM and I've lost no more than half a pint.

With that said, I still like Pennzoil Platinum. It has done great in my Avalanche and my gf's G35, it's just not the best oil for a leaking flat-tappet motor.

Last edited:

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Every motor Ive pulled apart that used paraffin based oil, looked like someone poured black candle wax in it. Ive always stayed away from pariffin based oils because of that. Pennzoil and Valvoline were the two worst ones I was aware of when I sold auto parts but I believe Kendall is one also. Ive always used Castrol and was happy with it until I pulled apart my latest motor that I had been running Syntec in. It is a hybrid synthetic/conventional oil blend. It wasnt clumped or waxy but had an Orange look to everything. So, when this goes back together, its getting Mobil 1 or Royal purple full synthetic. Mobil 1 seems to be just fine in racing Vettes, so I figure it will be fine for my truck.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
I've beat this dead horse enough, all I'm going to say is that motor oil formulations and additives have changed vastly in recent history. The PO of my 95 ran nothing but conventional Pennzoil, yet everything was fairly clean when I pulled the valve covers.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I switched over to Brad Penn, it's pretty cheap and the cost of royal purple can't be justified when the cost of Brad Penn is almost half of the cost.

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run mobil 1 5-30 hm in all of my vehicles, its great oil, i like it, still looks clean when I dump it at 3000 miles.

TrailBlazerZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run either Valvoline or Amsoil in my vehicles and I've never had a problem. I ran Mobil 1 10W30 synthetic in my 02 with an 8.1 and it burned 3 quarts off in 5 months, whereas it normally burned a quart off between oil changes.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
I'm running Mobil 1 in all of my vehicles and couldn't be happier, it's a great product. I just wait for the sales at Wallyworld and get the 5 quart jugs for $25 or less.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I switched from Royal Purple to Mobil 1, now my valve covers leak... Might be a coincidence, I'm going to change the gaskets but I'll probably go back to RP