missing tons of coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plouth

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was hoping that it was not the intake…but it's looking like it may be.
I had some leaking coolant issues, and I traced it back to a crack in the rad by the connectors for the auto trans. So i bit the bullet and changed out the rad, hoses, cap, thermostat and hoped that it was that. Well it lasted about a week and the gauge started jumping around again…usually a sign of low coolant. Now I'm going through about a gallon every two days? Seems like way to much!

So I guess I'm going to now do a pressure test in hopes to make sure it is. So here are a few questions I have that would really like everyone that can to give me some perspective.

1. Is this the time to do the valve cover gaskets? Been reading some and it look like people are doing this?

2. Any other must do's while the work is getting done?

3. What may be the price people have paid before for the intake change? I live in California where we pay extra for everything for no reason, so if anyone has experience in Ca with this it would help greatly when I start hunting around for a shop.

Anything else i should know please school me on what I need to know.

Thanks!

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
What year is this?

As far as California goes, Idk about NorCal, but when I lived in OC, I got way better prices by just going to the Inland Empire.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the problem with coolant that you are facing. We could help you better if we had some more facts. Where is the coolant going? Is it in the crankcase (milky sludgy oil), or oil in the rad? Dripping on the ground? What about into the combustion chambers (white smoke and sweet smell at exhaust)?

If you have to get into the engine, yes, replace all gaskets such as valve cover, intake manifold, etc. Gaskets are cheap compared to the labour cost to get them changes later.

camaroman101

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
change this Doorman 800-401 heater hose connect(pretty sure thats the right part #)
the factory plastic tends to crack
also some people change the injector spider or do the conversion scpi to mfi

have you tried putting a uv dye in the coolant?