Misfire between 45-55 mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Brand new cap rotor and whole distributor

Have your ignition control module tested at an auto parts store. I've had one go bad in a 4.3 before. I'd have to pull over and let the engine cool off before I could get down the road again. Basically wouldn't let the ignition timing advance.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1997 k1500 5.7l, misfires between 45-55 mph. No codes it’s done this even after a tune up and changing a bunch of parts

Are you sure that the tq converter locking up isn't what you are hearing?

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure that the tq converter locking up isn't what you are hearing?
It locks up yes but it just doesn’t feel right. It feels sluggish and like there’s no power. My uncle told me it’s probably because my exhaust is cut right after the cats, the kid before me did that to it

Chevy-SS

Reaction score
I had same truck, same engine, and same problems. My issue turned out to be fuel pump. I tried a couple of off-brand pumps and they only lasted a month or two each, it was ridiculous. I then bought OEM fuel pump and truck ran like new.

Maybe the first thing I would try is replacing the fuel filter and run a bunch of injector cleaner in the fuel.

Spark plug wires may look OK, but they could be cross-firing. I would recommend separating them from each other as much as possible to see if that helps.

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had same truck, same engine, and same problems. My issue turned out to be fuel pump. I tried a couple of off-brand pumps and they only lasted a month or two each, it was ridiculous. I then bought OEM fuel pump and truck ran like new.

Maybe the first thing I would try is replacing the fuel filter and run a bunch of injector cleaner in the fuel.

Spark plug wires may look OK, but they could be cross-firing. I would recommend separating them from each other as much as possible to see if that helps.
I have the wire looks seperating them and have changed the filter and ran so much cleaner through. I can try the pump I guess it won’t hurt since my needle bounces all over the place anyways

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You mentioned in your original post you "changed a bunch of parts" and did a tune up.

So, what parts are new? Do you still have the old stuff? Have you gotten the ignition module tested?

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You mentioned in your original post you "changed a bunch of parts" and did a tune up.

So, what parts are new? Do you still have the old stuff? Have you gotten the ignition module tested?
I’ve changed the distributor ,cap and rotor and sensor. I’ve changed all plugs and wires and upgraded my fuel injectors and changed the egr valve. Also changed the tps. No how do I get the ignition module tested?