LS swap tach gauge question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally got my swap done. I had a harness modded for my truck. everything single thing is working, except the Tach gauge. from what i understand, the OBS tach cluster reads a 8 cylinder signal, and the 5.3 pcm reads a 4 cylinder signal. When i had my harness modified, and my pcm tuned, the harness had wires labelled for the dash (SES, speedo, tach) and the pcm was tuned for the older tach to read correctly. The Tach isnt reading ANYTHING. not even an incorrect reading. it doesnt move, period. My speedo is dead on, and all the other gauges are working as they should. I ended up cutting the ground to the fuel pump / fuel gauge sending unit where it comes out of the fire wall on the drivers side (also where i tapped the new fuel pump relay into the gray wire), and put a hoop connector on the wire, and grounded it to the body. I did this because the fuel gauge wasnt working. now its working great. My question is, is there a ground that is only for the tach, and thats why it isnt working? Or do i need this resistor, or whatever it is that corrects the signal? from what i understand, it should just work because the PCM was tuned for it. i'm not stressing too hard, since everything else is working perfectly. but i'd like to get it to work. all the other gauges, and all the back lights work fine. and i'd like to know if theres something i'm missing before i tear the dash back down to see if the wire came loose or something. Not sure if anyone else has ran into this problem. i keep searching, but it seems like most people are having problems with other gauges. My tach doesnt even twitch. no movement whatsoever. Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:

craig98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Iim having the same trouble as well I have can't get my tacht to work in my 96.

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah, everything else seems to be working good, but the tach doesnt move at all. my trucks a 90, with the 93 tach cluster. i've read some people having trouble with theirs reading off a a couple 100 rpm's, but mine doesnt read anything. i'm probably just going to tear the dash back down and see if i can figure anything out in there.

craig98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me know if you figure anything out. I think I have a ground issue in my cluster as well. My left and brights indicator are like halfway illuminated.

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let me know if you figure anything out. I think I have a ground issue in my cluster as well. My left and brights indicator are like halfway illuminated.

Finally got the tach figured out. Here's what i found - http://lt1swap.com/lsx_tach.htm Took a trip to Radioshack, and spent about 15 minutes under the hood, now the tachs working as it should. the resistor comes in a 5 pack for like 2 bucks.