LQ4 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChugginGas

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on emissions testing a LQ4 thats been swapped into a 97 yukon inplace of a fuel injected 350. Information on the subject is scarce im wondering if any one has done this. I live in Ontario so my truck has to be e tested every 2 years. From what i know i could get it tested under the hot rod rule because its older than 99 and was not offered with this engine, but then would the ministry have to examine the truck? and would my insurance be able to catch wind of it being tested as a hot rod? My other option i asume would be to try and etest the engine under a 350, would stock i would think would pass as the LQ4 although larger is more efficent, has anyone tried this? I do plan on putting the cats on the engine and using the egr (though i would rather not for looks). Ive called the ministry and they have no idea whats going on and most of the etest shops in my area are scared of the idea. I know people have done this hell street and perfomance has a kit i plan on using but the emissions part is still unclear to me. Any info would be great, thanks.

Last edited:

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First off, welcome to the site.

As for your question. In most states, and logically thinking, a newer model engine with all stock emissions equipment should test better than an equally stock emissions older technological engine. I really don't know about the great white north but I can't image the engine failing the test if everything is really put back like stock, emissions wise.

Also I believe your Suburban would be in a different testing category do to its weight and towing capacity. Don't hold me to any of this though :D I live in a state that doesn't test or inspect any longer.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I believe in a lot of places where there are emissions tests, if you have a swap then your swapped engine let's say for grins you have an 04 6.0, then your truck has to test equal to an 04 model with a 6.0.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Here in B.C., if your vehicle is greater than 8600gvw, it's emission-test free. We can re-register a vehicle as such, if it's a truck, at any time. I know of more than a few 1/2 tons running around with that weight rating. A loop hole.

ChugginGas

Reaction score
Ya I heard they might try to hold it to the standards of the year the engine was built, but your probably right about it doing better than the 350 in the etest so ill see if I can get to pass under that first, probably leave me some for deleting the egr and maybe a little tune. Anyone know of any swap harnesses that actually are emissions compliant, I mean I've found posts with jst the front o2 sensors wired, but I need the cats and rear o2, s to be there, thanks

ChugginGas

Reaction score
Actually just got a catalog from painless wiring I think they may have everything I need and then some :)