Low range without 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GSCapt

Reaction score
Good day,

I have a 94 K1500 and would, occasionally, like to be able to use low range without engaging 4wd. Such as slowly backing a trailer on a hard surface and not wanting the difficulty of steering when 4wd is engaged and/or prematurely wearing front tires. So, has anyone wired a dashboard switch to the thermal actuator that would cut the power to the actuator when the transfer case is engaged? If so, is it a simple switch or would this require a relay or anything else?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I expect you'd want a light-duty switch and pilot-light within reach, activating a normally-closed relay that actually disabled the power to the actuator. Hopefully the pilot light would remind you that the front axle was disengaged. That way, if any of your added wiring or switch fails, the front axle should work normally through the normally-closed relay.

You'd still be turning the front driveshaft, and stirring up the grease in the front differential, but you wouldn't transmit any power up front, so no binding of the steering.

Make sure you don't have grease leaks in the front differential. There isn't much fluid capacity; you don't want to run it dry.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Exactly!

I've been running the 4x4 posi-lock for 20 years. Gets exactly what OP is looking for. Full control over the front diff.
2wd low range is possible by unlocking the front diff. As a bonus, leaving the diff locked during the winter allows rapid, on-the-fly shifting on sloppy surfaces during winter, or muddy road driving. Huge plus!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do those fit IFS axle assemblies? I wouldn't expect them to work with IFS steering knuckles/bearings.

He wants 2wd low range for "occasional" use. I can't see buying $160 in parts for a Posi-Lock, plus labor when an inline fuse, a switch, a relay, and some bulk wire would do the job.
According to that website they do, I'd imagine that if he were interested in going that route he'd verify that before purchasing.

Wether or not you think that's not an appropriate use of funds isn't the point though, is it? If the op doesn't think my suggestion is a viable option, I'm sure he'll move right along.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to that website they do,
Where are you seeing that?

I'm seeing "Dana 30"; and in the Q&A section, "Some Dana 44", but NOT Dana 60--so clearly they're NOT "Universal".

NOTHING about IFS that I'm seeing. Given that the CV axle male splined end directly engages the IFS female splined hub, I have no concept of how this can bolt in place to allow the hub to turn without the CV axle turning.