Lockup issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1997 K1500 5.7l with 280k on it. When I get to 45 mph cruising the truck jumps into lockup and stays that way until 55-60, which my transmission rebuilder said is normal. He drove it and told me it goes into lockup and that it’s normal. It shakes but also sounds terrible out the exhaust, it sounds like it is misfiring. Is this normal and has anyone experienced/ fixed this?

indexcow

Reaction score
1997 K1500 5.7l with 280k on it. When I get to 45 mph cruising the truck jumps into lockup and stays that way until 55-60, which my transmission rebuilder said is normal. He drove it and told me it goes into lockup and that it’s normal. It shakes but also sounds terrible out the exhaust, it sounds like it is misfiring. Is this normal and has anyone experienced/ fixed this?
Lockup should happen around 40mph and it will stay locked up while you are cruising. When the torque converter is locked up your engine is directly connected to your wheels so if your engine is missfiring or running rough you will feel it more when lockup has occurred.

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lockup should happen around 40mph and it will stay locked up while you are cruising. When the torque converter is locked up your engine is directly connected to your wheels so if your engine is missfiring or running rough you will feel it more when lockup has occurred.
I guess it’s a miss but only during this time, idk why