Lockup issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hopefully it's something small and dropping the pan will give you clues. Have you had this truck for a while? I think if the filter gets clogged it can starve the pump, and cause the whine, As can a dent on the pan.

1998 I believe was a transition years on the deep vs shallow pan. Putting a shallow filter on a deep pan can cause the filter to fall off the bore. Obviously a bad thing.

Look here:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Around the 14 minute mark he talks about it.

And look at this video also.

I've posted these videos a handful of times, but they are always good to watch.

Where in Oklahoma are you? There may be a good transmission shop in your area you can take for repair, if needed.

Yngwytprik

Reaction score
Hopefully it's something small and dropping the pan will give you clues. Have you had this truck for a while? I think if the filter gets clogged it can starve the pump, and cause the whine, As can a dent on the pan.

1998 I believe was a transition years on the deep vs shallow pan. Putting a shallow filter on a deep pan can cause the filter to fall of the bore. Obviously a bad thing.

Look here:

Around the 14 minute mark he talks about it.

And look at this video also.

I've posted these videos a handful of times, but they are always good to watch.

Where in Oklahoma are you? There may be a good transmission shop in your area you can take for repair, if needed.
Im in central ok but ive always taken my 4l60s to quality gm transmission up in tulsa ok. Ive been around the block a few times with these 4l60s. Only ive never been given warning signs before.

Yngwytprik

Reaction score
I finally got around to dropping the pan today. Fluid was clean, and still a good color. Magnet wasnt a big ball of fine metal. But the filter looked nasty.
Im kinda wanting to blame the “whine” on the torque converter though. Only because the whine is non existent in park and neutral. But im no trans expert. Since everything else seems to look good and function fine other than the whine and a slow speed lockup issue do yall think i should just try a new filter and fluid? Or just get ahead pull the trans and put a new converter in? Or even better pull trans, new converter, and go ahead and throw a front pump in it? Like ive said before in this thread the trans functions flawless. Just a whine and low speed lockup issue.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pop in a fresh filter. Reinstall the cleaned pan/magnet. Drop a cooler tube, replace ALL the fluid. See what happens.

The whine could be the torque converter. Could be a worn pump. Could be a cavitating pump trying to suck through a semi-plugged filter. Could be some random check-ball bouncing around in a worn-out separator plate. You may not know until the trans comes apart (or stops working.)

But I'd start with a full load of clean fluid and known-good filter. If that doesn't fix things, you can always blow half of the fluid back out through that same cooler tube, so you wouldn't have to buy all-new again after you rebuild it.

Yngwytprik

Reaction score
***SOLVED***
***UPDATE***
I replaced the torque converter and it holds lockup perfectly fine, and no more whining now. Even with a shop and a couple buddies arguing with me weather the noise was from the pump or converter i went with my gut and replaced the converter only. Solved the issue. And saved some cash since it didn’t need a rebuild.