Little shop mfg rear disc installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just wanted to post my results after installing the little shop rear disc brake kit on my 90 c1500
https://www.littleshopmfg.com/gm-88-00-c1500-rear-disc-brakes-5-lug-10-drum/

Decided to go with the ebrake set because I knew at some point I would regret it if I didnt.
Few years back I did the gmt800 mc install and abs delete. I've left the factory metering/proportioning valve.
Install of the kit was a breeze. I opted to cut the back plates out of sheer laziness not wanting to pull the axles. They cut super easy with a sawzall. Setting the calipers requires ratcheting the ebrake til pads are in proper contact with the rotor. I used a small crowbar to do this easily, I'm sure a pair of channellocks would have worked.
Also changed out the rear rubber hose that connects the axle to the hard line along the frame. Advice to anybody doing this on a 30 year old truck, liberally lube all fittings for a month ahead of time. I pb'ed mine every night for a month and they were still a bear to get apart without twisting the lines in half.
The factory 15" rims just barely grazed the calipers so I took a flappy disc on a grinder to them slightly. Spin tires by hand while on jack stands to check clearance.

You must be registered for see images attach

Some hand bending alterations has to be made to the factory hard lines to get them to where they need to be for the new rotors. Super easy. After it's all back together have to break them in according to all pad/rotor instructions and the truck stops like a new truck now. Hard breaking pulls the truck straight and true even in a 40mph crosswind. Regular braking gives the truck a far more confident feel than the factory setup did. I really love this kit and the results.

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Cool as hell, I didnt know about this kit and now I really want them on my trucks! Thanks for sharing!

Are the the calipers n pads basically oem or what's the deal if a caliper needed to be replaced in the future? I checked the website but maybe I missed it?

Al

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool as hell, I didnt know about this kit and now I really want them on my trucks! Thanks for sharing!

Are the the calipers n pads basically oem or what's the deal if a caliper needed to be replaced in the future? I checked the website but maybe I missed it?

Al
Good question. Idk and quite honestly was too short sighted to ask. I will email them and get back with you on that

RI Chevy guy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the write up on this, looking to do this when I rebuild the rear axle housing (new gears, bearings, seals, and an Eaton Tru Trac) were there any issues connecting the parking brake cables?

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for the write up on this, looking to do this when I rebuild the rear axle housing (new gears, bearings, seals, and an Eaton Tru Trac) were there any issues connecting the parking brake cables?
No. They just needed the ends clipped off and shortened.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
How does the parking brake work? I've heard of issues with the kit. Tempted to order, but I need a working e brake for inspection.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How does the parking brake work? I've heard of issues with the kit. Tempted to order, but I need a working e brake for inspection.
In gear with the park brake on it stays. Goose it and it will move reluctantly. So....it works like any parking brake. Wouldn't trust it on a 30° incline in neutral with a trailer or something stupid.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Al

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
@90halfton Just installed my LSMFG brake kit, but stuck on the bleeding process. In the instructions they mentioned having the bleeder screw parallel to the ground but I'd have to lift the front of my truck 6.25 feet to achieve that. Is there a way to bleed the brakes off the bracket, or would using a power bleeder help? How did you go about bleeding all the air out of your brakes?

EDIT: Apparently the instructions were for a different brake kit, according to Skyler (a rep for LSMFG). I somehow have to get my bleeder valves to the 12 o'clock position instead of parallel to the ground. Currently the driver's side one is at 10 o' clock and the passenger one is at 2 o' clock. Going to have to brainstorm a way to properly bleed my brakes.

Last edited: