Lights flicker wth????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Hey y'all, got a small problem, at night all my lights on my 98 flicker ever so slightly at all times, kinda like if you look for it you won't see it but if your not concertrating on it you notice it. Now if I have my headlights pointed towards the house, you can notice it more, and the radio clock does it too which is more noticable. Idk if its related but when I hit the brakes, the headlights do one very noticeable flicker.

Does anyone have any ideas where I need to start to fix this problem? Could the voltage regulator be acting up, or could it be a bad ground somewhere?? Please share ideas, thanks!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would definitely check grounds, an the headlight switch. I have one if you'd like to try it....

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would say that with 99% certainty that it is most definitely a combination of a bad ground and/or your headlight switch. The headlight switch even more so explains the interior light flicker, However I would start by checking and cleaning all the grounds regardless; at the back of the truck, passenger side inner fender, checking your ground straps (an often overlooked grounding point that is very important), as well as the negative battery terminal. These are the main ground points. Your headlight switch is most likely on its way out, they are a rather inexpensive part to replace and you are best to replace it before it leaves you stranded at night someplace! They run from $15+, so I would recommend you check into replacing yours! Let us know if any of the above helps you out!

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
My honda did the same, previous owner stripped the bolt to tighten the terminal so they just sat it on there

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas fellas, I'll check the grounds today at work and if that don't work, P2 I'll get with you about that switch.