Lessee....a boat is a vehicle isn't it? :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
All put together and almost ready to roll!

You must be registered for see images attach

I have a few electrical connections to make yet, a touch more wood working (couple small beauty panels) and a couple u bolts to add to the frame (they're on order).

But it's pretty much ready for this season and a trip back to the cottage to spread my fathers ashes in his favorite harbor.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Great job on the boat. Nice to see someone who takes pride in everything they do. Just like my sig vvv

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Been a while since I've done anything to the boat. Money and time has turned it into a "garage ornament".

I've been wanting to get back on it, but as mentioned, money and time.

I've always wanted to install a raised seat up front for easy casting while seated, but when I started adding up parts at the boat store it gets fairly expensive: 80 bucks for a telescoping post, 40 bucks for the deck mount, 30 for the seat mount, etc....I've got more important places to spend that cash at the moment.

So what's a "frugal" guy to do?

Well, my town is having it's fall cleanup days this week. People have all sorts of stuff at the curbs for removal. I was driving down the road and noticed a beat up office style chair.

Now I'm not one to root through peoples garbage, but that telescoping gas strut mechanism in the chair was a bit too tempting. It looked like something I could work with. I swallowed my pride and went to knock on the guys door. "No problem, take 'er away!" was his answer (I feel the need to ask before I take something, even if it's in a garbage pile). He seemed appreciative that I would ask first.

So I get it home and strip the chair down to the strut. The seat bottom, back and casters goes right out into my own cleanup pile at the curb.

A quick test shows that the office seat strut attachments are very close to fitting my fishing seats. Some minor work with the welder will get it just right to bolt on.

Then I look at attaching it to the bottom/boat seat. Hmmm, I'll need to make a custom plate, woodwork, mounting, etc. That sucks and will cost some money in more materials.

Then I think why not use the caster bottom of the office chair? It's already sized to fit the post, it's got long legs I can bolt to the boat seat top and the legs are long enough to spread the load out and make the seat super stable.

I pull it back off the garbage pile, strip the wheels off and bingo, it will support the seat post just fine. I'll cut the caster "spider legs" off to fit under my decking and since it's nice and wide it will spread the load over the whole deck seat. I will have to make a hole in the aluminum seat top for the post to sit down in to several inches, but that's no big deal. All that will be visible is a hole in the carpeting that the seat post will go through.

Here's a quick and dirty (IE: iPhone) pic:

It's about 6-8" off the top deck when retracted and it extends about 4-5". not huge but it jumps up enough to make the knee bend comfortable.

The folded seat back will make a nice support for the boat cover as that's the longest unsupported run on the cover. I'll add a smooth covering (made just a couple foam pads) over the seat back as added insurance against ripping the cover. It's a milspec rip stop material, but no point in taking chances if I don't have to.

The seat also swivels on ball bearings down in the post so it's nice and smooth when you rotate. A nice side bonus is that there's a seat "tilt" adjustment also. Not really needed, but it's always nice to be able to "fine tune" for comfort or maybe tilt it back if your knees are a little crunched. Important for us old farts.

;)

I also saved the office seat arm rests. I may or may not use them as retractable/removable arm rests on the fishing seat (what luxury!) and perhaps a place to fit a drink holder. Maybe add a small velcro closing pouch for smaller items like keys, fish pliers, etc.

Not too bad so far for a "0" dollar investment and few moments of swallowing my pride.

:)

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
So I decided to dive right in and just get it done.

I cut down the spider to fit in the framing for the upper deck. Then I shaved it down on the bench sander as thin as possible. A couple carriage bolts, some carpet glue, a bit of welding/cutting/drilling to make the seat mounting area fit and:

Very solid and comfy for sitting when fully extended. Removes easily and the bench area is still flat and easy to sit on for rowing (if needed, crossed fingers for not ever needed!).

It rotates freely, so I may devise a way to lock it in an orientation for transiting from one "honey hole" to another. Probably just some kind of strap, nothing fancy.

It sits maybe a couple inches too high for my preference once the cover is on:

The seat back also is a little bit too "sharp" for my preferences. It's rounded and smooth, there's just a touch too much tension over it. What I may do is make the seat back removable or maybe shave down the offending seat ribbing a little bit.

Overall, I'd call it a success for spending absolutely no money on it!

:)

Last edited:

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
I like it! That seat idea is unreal, and as always, looks like the boat came that way! That thing is turning out to be a fishing machine! Excellent work buddy!
Going to go through this thread again for sure, lots of ideas in here I'd love to make work in my own boat!
I've been keeping my eye on a couple 16' aluminums this fall, looking to get into the jetboat scene for winter steelheading this season.