LED Lights But...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slime

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, after my expensive "Silver Star" bulbs died in my truck ( One bulb but it was only 3 months ) I decided to go with an LED setup. There are tons of them out there. So I just found a set with good feed back and made the purchase. What was puzzling was the parts list showed all the things you would expect to see, but none of that was there. No ballasts, just the bulbs with the pigtail. Seems the ballast is built into the bulb fixture. First one I have seen like that. Hooked them up and the light is fantastic ...but the bulbs aren't shielded! They screw with the radio especially on stations without a strong signal. Very annoying, but now I know.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DLYNWHL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, LED bulbs do not need ballasts. LEDs dont pull enough amperage, or need as high of a voltage to produce the same light, I believe you may be thinking of HID bulbs with ballasts, as they need extremely high voltage to operate

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
@Hobie is correct, LEDs don't need ballasts, only HIDs. LEDs in general draw very little power, which in turn takes a load off of the electrical system. LED tail lights (using tail lights as an example) usually come with resistors, those are kinda like the ballasts for HIDs, but the resistors are just there to get rid of hyperflash. :)

The Sylvania SilverStar/SilverStar Ultras are complete junk, never buy them. Never, never, never. They are not worth the amount of money they charge for them. Now, those LED bulbs are definitely worth the money. Glad you enjoy them! I recently got some Auxbeam LEDs, I was impressed.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
HIDs (and fluorescent bulbs, and all arc lamps) use a ballast because they have negative resistance. The ballast controls the current so that they don't draw more and more power until they explode. LEDs don't need a ballast, only simple electronics to control the voltage and current draw so that they don't flicker.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
You're probably getting interference because those bulbs are cheaply made.. Wouldn't be too surprised if they don't last long either. My sets from SuperBrightLEDs don't cause radio interference at all, but I also paid a bit more for them about 3 years ago.

JimFixes

Reaction score
I found this deal and they are amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K43XKDF/?tag=beslitstu-20

I finally got to do something I have always wanted to do, driving along the other night someone flashed me, and I got to show them that in fact, those were my low beams.

The cut off line is great too and man they light up the road. I have had this truck for a decade and until I put these in I have always struggled with night driving no matter what bulbs I used.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had a cheap set of LEDs in my truck for past year, had em in my blazer for 4 years previous to that and have put them in many friends vehicles over the past few years and at $18-$28 for a set of 4 for our OBS chevs you cant go wrong. I have yet to have one die on me either . As far as messing with the radio, I have had no complaints and haven't noticed it in my rig, but I hardly ever listen to FM and we have crap reception here because most of the UP is on an iron ore deposit.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Funny I just put my old pioneer avh-p3200bt in my buddies truck and he said it has static when he plays the radio ( only FM) . His old jvc single din didn't static. Made me think about this thread, he has led bulbs ( were in it before he bought the truck so no idea brand) , I'm gonna unhook them tomorrow and see if that's the issue. Probably going to replace bulbs with better brand and/or install an isolator to correct it.