LED headlight bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowtieJC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed some led headlight bulbs in my 96 silverado i got them for christmas. problem is, i can turn them on sometimes and they are bright but when i go to bright lights and back to low they will be real dim. if i turn them off and on a few times they will be bright. but as soon as you go to bright and back they are dim again. WTF lol. sometimes i turn them on and they are real dim. turn them off and on a few times then three bright

BowtieJC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone, these headlights are exactly what i need to see better with, but i can't use them like this .

Mr_white_obs

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my truck. I have a "hi-beam mod" where the low beams are wired with a relay to stay on with the high beams. the relay was faulty and was causing the lights to kind of "half" come one for periods of times. i would suggest trying a new relay. even if you don't have that particular mod, there should still be a high beam relay in your fuse box.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
What's the condition your DRL's? Have you previously disengaged it or is it still operational? The DRL module is detecting the line voltage on the low and high beams and using a signal off the low beam on setting to tell when to throw or disengage the DRL relay.

LED's have very little current compared to the regulator bulbs. The DRL module may be detecting an initial dip in line voltage with the lows on and allows the relay to disengage, and with the highs on it will should pull down a little more. But when you go back to low though, it might be too little current and the voltage isn't pulled enough to tell the module to turn off the DRL relay. With the relay on the lights are fed through the DRL diode which drops the voltage to the lights a lot. I'm just saying the LED's might have put the DRL module on the fringe of its detection capabilities. Might be worth checking.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
The DRLs should still work after swapping to LED headlights, or at least on my grandpa's 97 they work fine.

delta_p

Reaction score
The DRLs should still work after swapping to LED headlights, or at least on my grandpa's 97 they work fine.

Would you happen to know the brand of LED bulb he had? Or if it had a resistance built into the bulb?

delta_p

Reaction score
Not to get too technical but this is a graph of the voltage on the line at the DRL module detection point, of what i thought might be happening to cause the low brightness going through the DRL. And why it was only sometimes. I am just really interested in this sort of stuff.

I won't muddy the waters hereafter but would be interested if the module had anything to do with the problem.

Edit.... Apologies. I deleted my original graph because i went and looked at the schematic and there should be no voltage to the module until the headlight switch is engaged. The graph would've possibley look something like this. Where as with normal bulbs the blue lines would be well above the orange line.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

delta_p

Reaction score
Just one more. ;)

Probably the easiest way to rule this out is to unplug the DRL diode module. It's right up under the driver dash in a bracket and has heat fins on it. This should kill any DRL in key on, but won't affect the relay.

Try your scenerio again but see if rather than going back to dim, the lights just won't turn on in LO after HI.