Leaking brake thingamajiggy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Not sure what this is called but it is leaking pretty bad (you can see the fluid dripping off the bottom of the bed and the exhaust pipe). Its right off the hard line coming to the back wheels, goes through this and then on to what I think is some kind of splitter to go to both wheels (on top of the diff). Anyone know what it is called? I cant exactly see where it's leaking from, the fitting or the rubber line has a hole in it.....

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its just where the hard line meets the flex line down to the axle. I'd guess that the rubber line is bad, or it could have worked loose?

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
^^^ x2, that or a bad gasket. id drain my fluid and check it out

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There it's no gasket there. The lines are sealed by a flare inside...

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Welp, it turned out tnat the metal brake line itself had a couple of holes in it right where the last bracket holds it to the inside of the frame. I bought a flare kit and attempted to fix it myself by just cutting out the bad part and flaring both exposed ends and putting a union in. I bought a $10 flare tool from auto zone which promptly galled the threads trying to tighten it down enough to hold the line in place to be flared. I spent another 1/2 hour sawing the d@mn thing in two to get it off. After about 2 hours of laying on my back under the truck with brake fluid dripping all over me trying to get it to seal, I said F-it and took it to Midas. They could not get it to seal either and ended up putting a compression fitting on it (which I thought was a no-no or I would have done that). Couple days later, it started leaking again and when I checked, the compression fittings were not even tight! I got it tight again, but it still drips.....so....I guess my only option is to head to the pull-a-part and try to find the entire brake line to replace it with. P!sses me off I spent $150 for them to fix it and ity still leaks. When I called to complain, they said the only thing they can do is replace the whole brake line, for another couple hundred. NEVER again will I go to Midas for anything. Sometimes I get to the point working on a particularly PIA problem when I just say, lets take it somewhere, I'd rather pay someone else to fix it, but every time, they end up not fixing it or making it worse....Merchants, Midas, Meineke, they all SUK!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plenty in the pull a parts here. Take a road trip down an we can get her fixed for $20 probably. If you go get one just follow it towards the front, there will probably be a union somewhere under the cab....

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Wait a sec! You paid a shop $150 bucks to install a compression fitting? And it still leaks??

I'd have driven the truck through the front door and said fix it right before I drive it through the back door!!!

Compression fittings are not allowed on brake lines due to the fact they can vibrate loose and leak. In fact, In NY we can reject them for State Safety Inspection.

Take it back and complain. Get them to fix it correctly and maybe get a free oil change out of the deal

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the brake line front to back replaced for $180 and had them install the ss line that went from that union thing

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2