Large leak under engine. 6.5L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm no expert in plow trucks by any means. I do have a dump trailer with the 12v electric power pack. it works great.

but when I saw how this is plumbed into the power steering I thought it was just brilliant. all the power steering pump is, is a hydraulic pump.

I have never seen a setup like this and am way more familiar with the 12v electric power packs but I have almost zero experience with plow trucks.

I don't think this is plumbed into the power steering system.... isn't that another pump mounted with all that bracketry?

Edit: I don't see a belt on it, but that looks like a V-belt pulley.

Tornexted

Reaction score
I found out what the leak is! It is, in fact, power steering fluid. It was almost impossible to get down in there and remove the cap, but after I removed it, it was bone dry. I refilled it with PS fluid and now my truck sounds brand new. I had to squirt the PS fluid in there so ended up losing 50% of the product. I don't know whether the new fluid will self-seal any leaks, but the issue remains; I can't pinpoint where the leak is coming from.

I don't think this is plumbed into the power steering system.... isn't that another pump mounted with all that bracketry?

Edit: I don't see a belt on it, but that looks like a V-belt pulley.
That is a pump that's mounted on the bracket, it used to have a belt on it that went down to the harmonic balancer area, but I took it off cuz I thought it was unnecessary to have that running while I don't use any of the snow plowing stuff.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's not a terrible number of parts in the power steering system. The pumps are cheap and easy to rebuild IF you have the tool for removing and reinstalling the pulley. The hoses aren't expensive. The steering box is the big cost vs buttpain consideration. Buying a rebuilt steering box is about $300 and requires some care in installation. Rebuilding it yourself isn't terrible, but you have to inspect everything carefully and take your time in adjusting it. I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to rebuilding stuff that I shouldn't, but I'm seriously considering buying a quality rebuilt box.