Large leak under engine. 6.5L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some of the wetness around the oil filter and pan could be the orings on the filter housing leaking and oil cooler lines. They are a known leak spot. You can get the replacement orings and lines from leroy diesel. His lines are braided stanless with an fittings. They are a nice set i have them on my truck. The way gm connects them to the engine is a joke. The connectors fell apart as I pulled the clip off to remove the line.
As to the power steering pump can you see at all behind those bracket's? The reservoir should be back there. Do you have the plow for the truck? If not do you ever plan on using it? If not I would try removing all the stuff for it and put it back to the way it was from gm.

Tornexted

Reaction score
Brake fluid seems to be fine. In fact, I mistook the brake fluid tank for the power steering at first because it's right behind the steering wheel, but it's in fact for the brakes. Can’t be coolant either, coolant is much runnier and waterier. I just hope it's not transmission oil, although that seems to be at a normal level too. I will ultimately have to take it in for someone to repair because honestly, I can't seem to pin point where the leak is, it's buried underneath all of this stuff. I really do appreciate your help guys, again any suggestions are still highly welcomed. Won't take my truck into a shop till the semester is over around mid-December, or until something makes my truck undrivable. I highly suspect it’s something to do with power steering, or at least I hope it is.

Tornexted

Reaction score
does that fluid smell horrible?

have you ever changed gear oil before? the first time I did it I really couldn't believe how bad it smelled!

Absolutely no smell. I never changed the gear oil before. But at least something to have noted.

I think I found where the PS tank is, it’s buried underneath all this snow plow stuff. Quite funny how I didn't see it. I will check tomorrow to see if it's full.
You must be registered for see images attach

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I'm no expert in plow trucks by any means. I do have a dump trailer with the 12v electric power pack. it works great.

but when I saw how this is plumbed into the power steering I thought it was just brilliant. all the power steering pump is, is a hydraulic pump.

I have never seen a setup like this and am way more familiar with the 12v electric power packs but I have almost zero experience with plow trucks.