L31 vs LT1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gm muscle

Reaction score
My '97 K1500 has a 5.7 with 150K and still running strong. I just wanted to know if there are any members that have swapped in an LT1. I have a wrecked '95 Z28 and pulled the LT1/4L60e with the intention of rebuilding them and swapping them into my '87 Monte SS....then the LS bug bit. :shrug:
I was thinking of hanging on to the LT1 and then doing the swap when the times comes or simply rebuild the L31 and sell the LT1 now.

Any thoughts?

Trav_69Stang

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, its nice cause us L31 guys don't have to worry about the optispark

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk

Trav_69Stang

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
True, but I've looked into doing either the GM RamJet or Edlebrock ProFlo XT to solve that problem, but since I'll be putting boost to it I'm not sure how much of a plus that would be. It would be awesome for all motor for sure

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the opti once and I know I dont ever need it again. L31 is the way I would go. a cam, heads and all the bolt ons and youll be fine. stock bottom end is solid and will live up to a little boost and an occasional spray, anything more than that you should be looking at a new bottom end.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much boost?

a solid stock bottom end will take 8-10lbs but you have to be super careful about detonation, you're gonna need to have it tuned to make sure your getting enough fuel and make sure your timing is safe across the rpm range. personally on a 100k+ miler I would stay around 4-6lbs. its enough to feel and to sound cool and you can run it all day

Trav_69Stang

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
a solid stock bottom end will take 8-10lbs but you have to be super careful about detonation, you're gonna need to have it tuned to make sure your getting enough fuel and make sure your timing is safe across the rpm range. personally on a 100k+ miler I would stay around 4-6lbs. its enough to feel and to sound cool and you can run it all day

I've got a remanned long block in mine now with under 50k on it. I'm piecing a ProCharger P1 kit together and planned to run the 8-9lbs that ProCharger has a kit for with a P1SC on a bone stock 5.7 Vortec.

gm muscle

Reaction score
Well, its nice cause us L31 guys don't have to worry about the optispark

If I ever did decide to swap in that LT1, it would have to be with EFI Connection's ignition system swap. Its where you're running an LS-based ignition....no more opti.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I ever did decide to swap in that LT1, it would have to be with EFI Connection's ignition system swap. Its where you're running an LS-based ignition....no more opti.

I looked into a similar system when I had my z28... looks like a solid system but the problem I see is that by the time you get it all together and into the vehicle your getting dangerously close to LS swap budget. I will take a 6.0 over an LT1 if your looking at similar costs. I understand you have the LT1 already but im sure you could sell it to a z28/transam owner and come close to LS money.

I've got a remanned long block in mine now with under 50k on it. I'm piecing a ProCharger P1 kit together and planned to run the 8-9lbs that ProCharger has a kit for with a P1SC on a bone stock 5.7 Vortec.

I dont see a problem with that at all with a tune/chip.