L31 to carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TTS1996

Reaction score
Has anyone on here done or know someone who has done a L31 to carb swap in a 96 k1500? I am tired of having a crappy efi system and cant afford a good system. But i can afford a carb set up and since its not a dd and more of a work/play truck mpg's are not too big of a deal.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your gas mileage decrease will be the least of your worries, probably won't even be one. You're gonna need to remove everything related to the efi, also includes much of the ignition. Is this a manual or automatic? If it's sn auto, you're either gonna need a manual valvebody, transmission controller, or a TPS. Or, change to an older transmission, such as a 700R4. Youre also going to need to do some work to the fuel system. You're also gonna need to get a carb intake for Vortec heads. And you'll need another distributor, coil in cap HEI would be easiest. And you need to decide on a carb, you've got many choices. And when you get everything, you'll have to instal it all and tune it. Now, with all of that work, what's so bad wrong with your truck's operating system? A carb swap isn't as simple as just bolting on a carb.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, you could just about replace the entire injection system with new ACDelco parts for what a swap would cost. What problems are you having that make you want to ditch it so badly?

TTS1996

Reaction score
Im tired of having a lack of power. I cant afford a good efi system so i want to go to a carb set up. Ya they might not be as good but atleast you dont need a f****** P.hd to work on them.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you had a good tune put on your truck, by any chance? A good tune will really wake up one of these truck, especially with bolt-ons. I can understand wanting the simplicity of a carb, I just don't like the associated BS that comes with them. But, I wish you luck with your conversion!

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont care for efi myself, but swapping to a carb on an OBD2 truck isn't worth it I think. Too much work for what you gain. I do like carbs and mechanical ignitions, but the somethings that make them simple make them harder to put on a newer truck. If this was TBI, I would possibly understand.

TTS1996

Reaction score
Ya i know it doesnt make since to do on a truck this new but ive heard it can be done. I know what all what it will take and the pain it can be but i also want to be different from everyone. Plus ive been invisioning a turbo or two in the future soo that might ease thing on the tuning issue

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you plan to turbo, then you can expect to need to do some tuning. Have you ever dealt with tuning, efi or carb? I've only done the basics with carbs, jets, idle mixture, and secondary springs, and it can be complicated. And with more advanced tuning, carbs aren't just something to bolt on and forget. They aren't that simple, they require alot of attention. I've learned just an aircleaner change can make an engine with a carb not start without some adjustments (Pro-Flo 1000 to a paper 14x2). From everything I've learned, carbs are harder to tune than efi. But, I still prefer carbs. I have never tuned EFI, and I've only done basic carb work. I still enjoy the idea of opening up the hood to tune, not a laptop.
But with your truck, it's possible still. But dont forget many people with your era of truck are swapping to even more modern computers and LS ignitions. Not too many are putting carbs on, there's a reason. Some say carbs are pointless, junk, don't work, and there's many more reasons people claim. But I think the real reason is they don't truly understand them. And the ones many people who complain about them had to deal with emissions era of carbs. The only real reason to not use a carb on your truck is the amount of work required to do so.

TTS1996

Reaction score
Ya im not afriad of the work. And i have a friend or two who is good at tuning carbs. I also dont live too far from a bunch of drag racers and an engine builder that is known all over the place. Plus i have a dyno shop not too far away.