Keyless entry system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Thinking about installing a keyless entry system in my 97 GMC K1500. They are cheap enough. Question is, do they work alright? Here is the kit

http://www.amazon.ca/Remote-Central...99595865&sr=8-1&keywords=keyless+entry+system

You must be registered for see images attach

I downloaded the instructions, seems simple enough.....this wire goes to that wire etc. Anyone installed one of these aftermarket kits?...Are the wires in my truck hard to get out?....That sort of thing

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Years ago I installed alarms/ remote starts for a living. Honestly I'd avoid generic or no name brands and just go with a reputable one if you can. I'm pretty partial to DEI (Avital, Viper, etc.)
It's been about 8-9 years since I messed with any alarm installs so I'm very rusty, I'm sure there are others in here that can help.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Years ago I installed alarms/ remote starts for a living. Honestly I'd avoid generic or no name brands and just go with a reputable one if you can. I'm pretty partial to DEI (Avital, Viper, etc.)
It's been about 8-9 years since I messed with any alarm installs so I'm very rusty, I'm sure there are others in here that can help.

id have to agree, that module takes a dump, its all over. id get one from a reputable place, someone you can call and complain when things go sour.

check this guy out, even got the remote start, not too much more than the generic kit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Viper-130XV...emote_Start_Entry_Systems&hash=item338e22b837

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Thanks guys...Good point on the quality name kit. Mainly I was wondering how hard it is to find the wires I need to splice into in my wiring harness....Are they just under the dash?...I just dont want to butcher anything up.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Have you checked to see that your truck does not have keyless? MOST power lock trucks have it installed, even if it does not have a remote with it. You may just need a remote..

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Thanks guys...Good point on the quality name kit. Mainly I was wondering how hard it is to find the wires I need to splice into in my wiring harness....Are they just under the dash?...I just dont want to butcher anything up.

everything you need to tap into is under the dash if you can read a wire diagram pretty good, it willl be a nice non cussing install...

remember to take off the negative cable before you do anything!!!

Mr_Nationwide

Reaction score
The keyless remote to my '98 Yukon got lost between owners before I bought it.
I can buy a remote cheap at Autozone and program it to the system.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Have you checked to see that your truck does not have keyless? MOST power lock trucks have it installed, even if it does not have a remote with it. You may just need a remote..

Nope, not true.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: the rke trucks and the non rke trucks are different systems. To make it more complicated, 2 door rke trucks and 4 door SUVs have the same wiring arrangement. 2 door non rke trucks are standing off in their own with a different system.

If you can program a remote to your truck it was originally a factory rke truck and some ******** lost the remotes. Gm does not go through the extra expense of a relay unit on trucks that are not rke. Costs more and that's why they have a simple switch system for non rke vehicles. Switches and wiring is cheaper.

If installing an aftermarket remote in a non rke truck, you have to use a relay network and they are a different polarity than factory rke trucks.

Factory rke trucks have ethe relay system built into the module.

A simple look through the wiring diagrams section for the appropriate model year will make it much clearer.

The easiest place to tap into the door locks on a GMT 400 is behind the drivers kick panel.

Depending on how "cheap" the aftermarket rke unit is, you may have to add a few diodes to the actuation signal lines on a factory rke truck.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
i asked this on another thread but did not get an answer. My 1/2 ton had rke on it, and i put the doors on my 2500. I swapped under dash harnesses so my power windows/door locks would work. Is the module somewhere on this harness? If so, the 2500 should have rke right? I never bought a remote for the 1500.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
i asked this on another thread but did not get an answer. My 1/2 ton had rke on it, and i put the doors on my 2500. I swapped under dash harnesses so my power windows/door locks would work. Is the module somewhere on this harness? If so, the 2500 should have rke right? I never bought a remote for the 1500.

The module is under the dash, attached the the Lh side of the steering column.

You need the whole wiring harness. Have a look in the wiring diagram section and it will become clear what needs to be done.

Personally, I say "f" the OEM crap. You're lucky to get 10-15 feet. There was times I could be standing right by the truck with new bats in the remote and have to still take a step closer. Crap, crap, crap.

My truck is rke and I pitched those f'n useless remotes in the trash and installed an aftermarket alarm/starter/remote setup.

Reliable up to 3\4 mile away. Supposed to work up to 1 mile away. Great for when I'm in the store or something and I forgot to lock the truck.

Been happy ever since.

Last edited: