k2500 8600gvrw trucks tow ratings have gotta be under rated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IMHO, a k2500 BB will not safely pull a 10k tagalong. I just bought a RAM 3500 that will. The Burb will "pull" the load. But the suspension isn't up to dealing with it. It went down a smooth highway great. Hit a dip or anything that caused the trailer to lurch and it became "white knuckle express".
About 7500 is right...no matter what the tow rating. Even new Chevy 3/4 ton diesels SRW are known for loose feeling with max tow loads.
I spent a load trying to make this work. Never was safe. I was pulling a Vengeance Rogue 31V you hauler on a 12k reese hitch with 12 I trunions. Excellent tires at 80 psi. New shocks, rag joint, poly bushings, (and bought a Firestone air suspension and compressor that I never installed) really no change. Truck drove great with 7500 and less.
Bought a Ram 350O that pulls my toy hauler without issue. All about the bucks I reckon. I'd find a chevy 1 ton dually and gitrdone.
IMHO.
Anyone need a reasonably priced Firestone 2101 and 2097 suspension? Still in original packaging. This fits 2wd and 4wd '88 '99 Burb K2500s.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This wouldn't happen to be the same 97 K2500 Burb with a 489 Vortec on the Charlotte Craigslist would it?
I've been drooling over it the past couple of days. I don't know that I could bring myself to sell such a badass rig.

Mind PM'ing me on the air bags and compressor kit? I've been wanting to add some to my 96 K2500 for a while now, and I may be interested in them depending on what you'd want for 'em.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. That's the same truck. And I hate to sell it...but I'm going broke! Damn golf cart...
Appears that the burb is headed to Ohio. Had good bit of interest in it.
I'll try to figure out how to PM you. If you locate that ad, feel free to text me and we'll talk. The ad might come down tomorrow night.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Your trailer length is probably what killed you. And the nature of a camper. I can drag my 9k ish 24ft car hauler with no worries behind my modded 1500. And I do have a dually to compare it to. The dually is way better, but the 1500 is good enough that I continue to pull with it.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mr BNielsen, I think I PM'd you?
Mobile phone isn't ideal for tapatalk...not for me anyway.
If you don't receive pm, text me thru the burb CL ad.
Thanks much

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your trailer length is probably what killed you. And the nature of a camper. I can drag my 9k ish 24ft car hauler with no worries behind my modded 1500. And I do have a dually to compare it to. The dually is way better, but the 1500 is good enough that I continue to pull with it.
Probably. Toy haulers are complicated. Axles biased to rear, and long heavy tongue. Box is 31', overall length is 37'.
For couple years pulled a 24' walk around with a 1/2 ton, 350, 4 spd, short stepside and no problems. Other than getting stuck on ramps...tag along travel trailers are the worst to pull.
I like my camper...a lot. Don't want to fight when moving it.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe 2500 diesel and 454 have the full floating 14 bolt. 2500 5.7 got 8 lug SF. All 3500 got the FF, regardless of engine.

I can't remember on the hydroboost if some 2500 had that or not. Again, I "think" some options had that. The biggest deal is stopping when towing, at least in my experience. Accelerating will be slow and cars can pass you (no big deal,) but when you got to stop in "x" feet, you have no option.

Also, I believe the all towing options had the engine oil cooler.

My 97' K2500 is equipped with the 7.4, 4l80E and 14 FF with Hydroboost. No external oil cooler, but does have external trans cooler.

Now, my 96' K1500 is equipped with 5.7, 4l60E, 14 SF, with an external oil cooler, but no trans. Both trucks have tow package
But like it was said before, GM done some weird things with these trucks

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a k3500 SRW with a big block. I pull an enclosed trailer almost everyday, weighs around 5,000 lbs. I don’t even know it’s there sometimes. It pulls well up hill, only time it doesn’t is when I hit a gear change like a rookie, but it’ll sill usually pull out of a mis shift just fine.

I’ll pull a skidsteer dump trailer of gravel from time to time too with no problem. I don’t have much interest in pulling equipment that is too big nor do I need to. This truck is a 8600 gvwr pickup and I think that’s right, 10k is still comfortable but is starting to be much. I’ve pulled close to 12,000 before and was a neevous, uncomfortable mess.

It’s also how good the trailer is loaded and also how good the trailer itself is. You can haul 5,000 loaded wrong on a piece of junk trailer and feel like you’re gonna die, or you can properly load 10,000 on a well made/maintained trailer and it feel better then the smaller load.

My neighbor has a ‘96 single cab, flatbed dually with a 350 he pulls a 15,000 pound dozer with. Just around our valley, very slowly and not super often, but he does it. He’s old, been around the block a few and has the right equipment for it.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn’t even think of pulling that equipment of his, unless just on his property.