K1500 Spongy Brakes Second Opinion.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sek494

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is my 96 K1500

So, I've owned the truck for about five years. The brakes seem kinda spongy to me and I just want them to be stiffer. The back brake lines busted awhile back and I had them and the front calipers replaced but it acts just like it did before. The shop owner told my uncle and I it was normal for my body style to have a little sponginess to them. However my uncle has a K2500 98' and I love the brakes in it. I want mine more like his. When I drove his I barley had rest my foot on the pedal before the truck would slow down. In mine I get the brake pedal about half way down before the truck really puts effort into getting stopped. While reading through some of the forums I noticed ABS system bleed and stainless steel hoses firmed the brakes up. Aren't the stock hoses stainless steel? And are the K2500, and K3500 just stiffer and am I going to half to just live with it?

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is just like it. But I am pretty sure I need a new master and power booster. My pedal travels down to the floor almost. It only pumps up when the truck is off. I also have a slight issue with a misfire at idle, which points to a wicked vacuum leak only at idle.

Do you have any similar symptoms.

Sek494

Reaction score
Mine is just like it. But I am pretty sure I need a new master and power booster. My pedal travels down to the floor almost. It only pumps up when the truck is off. I also have a slight issue with a misfire at idle, which points to a wicked vacuum leak only at idle.

Do you have any similar symptoms.

I know I'm about three months too late, but that sounds about right. I've done a little research and found the brake booster is usually the last thing people try but a common problem. I remember reading it actually has seven chambers and if its not bled properly it can be a big hassle. Maybe when I have time I'll bleed the system and then try a new booster.