Spongy brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 98 k1500 and my brakes where working just fine no problems at all well I went from the stock sawblade with 265/75/16 in tires to the 01 z71 wheels with 305/70/16 a bigger size in tires now my brakes feel spongy I can’t find any leaks anywhere what should I do ?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your brake hoses are old, replace them. Make sure your rear drums are adjusted properly and then bleed your brakes.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your brake hoses are old, replace them.
While you're in there, verify the condition of the rotors, drums, pads, shoes, calipers, wheel cylinders, and all the hardware that holds the brakes together--calipers still slide freely, drum springs are in good condition. If the Quick Take-Up master cylinder is faulty, or the pistons in the caliper are getting sticky, nothing will fix the spongy pedal other than replacement of the faulty part(s).

Make sure your rear drums are adjusted properly
...and the park brake cables aren't seized. USE the park brake often. That's what KEEPS the rear shoes adjusted.

and then bleed your brakes.
including bleeding the ABS unit with a scan tool to chatter the valves.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
If everything he Shurkey said looks acceptable and is adjusted properly and your using the parking brake to keep the drums in adjustment, then a bleed can help with spongy brakes if it still has 1998 brake fluid in there.