k1500 5 Speed experts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arruda

Reaction score
I could use some help, Im trying to find info on what retrofit trans I can use on my truck, All info is for a 1992 K1500 5 Speed 350 5.7 tbi v8 4x4 reg cab/sb step side. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im pretty sure I have the munci/getrag 290 5 speed manual but can I upgrade to something stronger?

Reason being is I finally bought one of these trucks after wanting one forever and it wasn't drivable when I bought it at the fair cost of $200, it was only after replacing the clutch slave I drove it to the trans repair shop after hearing a noise that sounded like sandpaper rubbing together that they told me the hissing noise when I let off the gas and when I accelerate in 1,2 and 3rd but then goes quiet in 4th has to be the counter shaft. I called my regular mechanic and he said they are trying to rip me off and that my trans is fine. Don't know what to do, these sounds don't seem normal and are pretty loud. When its just idling, it sounds like small pieces of metal bouncing around, Is this common for these 5 speed trucks?

Last edited:

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
I have had sounds in mine since I bought it ...only during deceleration....changed to synthetic trans oil and stopped worrying about it...I am pushing 500rwhp through it

Arruda

Reaction score
Thanks, Ill definitely give that a try. Also am I able to run the 1992 NV4500 4x4 5 speed trans in my 350 5.7 1992 k1500?

Last edited:

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i swapped an nv4500 in my 95 so it should bolt right up. Only problem you may have is the output spline count on the trans for the transfer case. Beings that you already have a 5 speed in there, it may not be an issue. I went from a 4l60e to the nv4500.