Just replaced master cylinder...breaks are rediculously spongy now...won't even stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ukiltmybrutha

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Central VA, DC Metro, NOVA (can they make up their

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
You most likely over tightened the brake line banjo bolts. I've done that before and what it does is not allow any fluid to the caliper.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Sponginess and air in the lines. If fluid can't get through, or get through without blockage, you will have the issues you are speaking of. Slow brake response and a weak pedal. At this point you should stop thinking about the brake booster. A failing brake booster will cause a heavy/firm pedal most of the time. It sounds to me like you aren't getting the volume you need to the calipers in the time you need it.

ukiltmybrutha

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Central VA, DC Metro, NOVA (can they make up their
Sponginess and air in the lines. If fluid can't get through, or get through without blockage, you will have the issues you are speaking of. Slow brake response and a weak pedal. At this point you should stop thinking about the brake booster. A failing brake booster will cause a heavy/firm pedal most of the time. It sounds to me like you aren't getting the volume you need to the calipers in the time you need it.

Interesting....but what about the neverending bubbles in the master reservoir when I press the brakes? That has got to be a symptom.

Thanks

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
That can happen with blockages because its impossible to bleed if the system can't cycle enough fluid. If you have no leaks and the master cylinder is new, the chances are that something is just over tightened or possibly a blockage somewhere in the lines.