JB5 JB6 JB7 JB8 Size Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so I might be driving a crappy hydroboost system--not getting the full potential.
It's generally a trouble free system,, kinda like a light bulb, it either works,, or not.
Assuming that their are no leaks or air in the system, the most common cause of poor Hydroboost performance is a power steering pump that's marginal.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's generally a trouble free system,, kinda like a light bulb, it either works,, or not.
Assuming that their are no leaks or air in the system, the most common cause of poor Hydroboost performance is a power steering pump that's marginal.
I drove quite a few GMT800 and up Suburbans and 3/4 ton Chevys with the hydroboost at my previous job and they all had really good pedal feel and stopping power. However, when they went out or were about to go out you could tell lol.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The front calipers are good, I went through them when I did pads and rotors not too long ago and the rear brakes looked alright when I was under it last. Could a fella swap the rear end and keep my 5 lug axle shafts? I’d like to not have to buy new 5 new rims at the moment lol.
If you can find a C1500 2wd Burb or Tahoe that has the gear ratio you want, and is in good condition, that should do it. But you'll want to go through everything to be sure that it works. Clean and lubricate stuff. So yeah, not a 5 minute job.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you can find a C1500 2wd Burb or Tahoe that has the gear ratio you want, and is in good condition, that should do it. But you'll want to go through everything to be sure that it works. Clean and lubricate stuff. So yeah, not a 5 minute job.
Hey then I would have a rear sway bar! That would be kewl. I'd be putting an Eaton or Detroit Tru-Trac in the diff while I had it out, so yeah everything would get freshened up for sure. The parts yard is like a box of chocolates: You never know what you're gonna get...but it's enjoyable all the same!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hey then I would have a rear sway bar! That would be kewl. I'd be putting an Eaton or Detroit Tru-Trac in the diff while I had it out, so yeah everything would get freshened up for sure. The parts yard is like a box of chocolates: You never know what you're gonna get...but it's enjoyable all the same!
Yup, when I went out the last time, I found lots of things to get " next time " if they're still there of course! Started telling Mom about the parts I found ( all of which the Burb needs or be good for a spare) and she started giving me the stink eye real bad. She can't wait to get her mitts on the $$ when I sell something though!
And the rear bar does make a big difference in the handling! Be sure you get all the brackets though, then you shouldn't have to fab too much stuff.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, when I went out the last time, I found lots of things to get " next time " if they're still there of course! Started telling Mom about the parts I found ( all of which the Burb needs or be good for a spare) and she started giving me the stink eye real bad. She can't wait to get her mitts on the $$ when I sell something though!
And the rear bar does make a big difference in the handling! Be sure you get all the brackets though, then you shouldn't have to fab too much stuff.
My Mom will ask whenever Dad or myself are planning to go "do we need anything for the other vehicles at wrench-a-part?" and will start to make a list lol.

And the less fabricating I do, the better. My current fab skills were acquired from the show 'Roadkill' and the best YouTube channel ever: 'Vice Grip Garage'. Meaning lots of zipties, spray paint and saying "eh, that's good enough".

Last edited:

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
would you actually have to swap the whole rear end for just the drums?
Yes, you actually have to swap the rear end. The JB5 equipped rear ends have a different flange on the axle tube end than the JB6 equipped rear ends. You can't just swap over the backing plates from one to the other. You have to swap the entire rear end.