Issues only when hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i've got two issues (possibly related) with the 4L60 in my '97.

1) lockup is inconsistent when hot. This only occurs after driving 1hr or more at a time, i drive 40 minutes one way a day and no issues. The TCC won't lock up like usual. Sometimes i can play with the throttle (let almost all the way off and ease back on) and get it to lock back up and sometimes i can't. After i park and let it sit, next time i turn it on everything is normal.

2) also occurs after driving on the highway for long periods. Only occurs if the lockup issue is also happening. The 1-2 shift is HARD, all others are normal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
The starter also cranks over really really slow when it's hot, not sure if that's related. It'll start but it takes it a minute to get spinning fast enough to turn over. It'll do this even if it'S not having the other two issues

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had an issue. It was because my 97 was misfiring. The pcm didn't allow lockup. For me it was an EGR so I unplugged it, no misses, had lockup

It may not be tranny related is what I'm saying. Do you have any active or stored codes? My truck was misfiring for a year but the cel only blinked twice to let me know.