Is it alright to drive around a 4l60e with a bad 3-4 clutch pack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Parahdox

Reaction score
Like just driving around town and stuff? No 3rd or 4th, have to order the 3-4 clutch pack and seal. Is it okay to drive?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I would definitely not drive it. I'm no transmission expert but that just seems like a terrible idea. There's a sticky at the top of this section with a ton of 4L60E info.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/answer-to-any-4l60e-trouble.3596/

The only thing in there I see about no 3rd and 4th is this:

"17. No forward movement in OD or D, but L2, L1 and R work: Forward sprag is broken. R&R. Try not to run or drive the car or further damage could result."

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just means the direct clutches are toast, as you suspect. I drove mine with first and second only for over a year before I could afford a rebuild. Further damage is unlikely, as you aren't using the failed clutch if you put it in L2. I wouldn't try to run 60mph in second, but I puttered back and forth to work at around 45mph max for that long. Point being that you aren't going to hurt the trans any worse than it already is if you don't use the failed clutch. Hard parts damage, as previously mentioned, is a different story altogether. When that occurs, you're just grinding metal and sending it through all the other potentially good portions of the transmission. Very bad indeed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk