Interior lights won’t turn off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been there done that, and the cargo lamp on my 96. I think it stays on if engaged and you exit the truck.
Yep, sometimes ya gotta do the full Homer Simpson.
A couple of months ago I was at the parts getting place and tried to run my credit card in the chip reader.
It beeped at me, I pulled the card out and jammed it back in and it beeped at me.
I took the card out and looked at it and stuck it back in and it beeped at me some more!
Got all pissed off about it.
Turns out, no matter how hard you try, you cant buy car parts with your library card.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, sometimes ya gotta do the full Homer Simpson.
A couple of months ago I was at the parts getting place and tried to run my credit card in the chip reader.
It beeped at me, I pulled the card out and jammed it back in and it beeped at me.
I took the card out and looked at it and stuck it back in and it beeped at me some more!
Got all pissed off about it.
Turns out, no matter how hard you try, you cant buy car parts with your library card.
I miss my local library (Covid), we email in for our books, and then there is a pickup date. Cause all I have in my personal library is an assault of Mech/Elect college and University books. God Knows every military history author, and my lovable soft art authors Poe, and Twain.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Remember that the door switch works by providing a ground, not power. The power goes to the various lights but they don't light until the switch provides ground. This means that somewhere along the line to the switch OR the switch itself, ground is being provided somehow. Good idea to trace the line from the switch to wherever it goes. Most likely it is frayed somewhere and grounding out. Or of course as others have said it could easily be that the detailer moved the dimmer past the detent and left the cab lights turned on.

Good luck and let us know what you find. If we don't hear back we will assume it was the dimmer switch and you don't want to tell anyone ! That has happened to a lot of us .

Last edited:

89GMC4by

Reaction score
Remember that the door switch works by providing a ground, not power. The power goes to the various lights but they don't light until the switch provides ground. This means that somewhere along the line to the switch OR the switch itself, ground is being provided somehow. Good idea to trace the line from the switch to wherever it goes. Most likely it is frayed somewhere and grounding out. Or of course as others have said it could easily be that the detailer moved the dimmer past the detent and left the cab lights turned on.

Good luck and let us know what you find. If we don't hear back we will assume it was the dimmer switch and you don't want to tell anyone ! That has happened to a lot of us .

Would this be the same on 89’ ?
My interior light comes on when I open the passenger door, but not the drivers door.
I had to replace it years back and it hasn’t worked since. Also I never installed the spring in the door where the hinges are the pushes the piece against the roller. (If that makes sense).
I was thinking it had something to do with being grounded properly when the door opens as there is no buttons or switched that I can see on either door. And while playing with the working passenger door, the light does not come on until it opens to a certain point, and it seams about when the roller hits the bar that the spring is pushing on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Would this be the same on 89’ ?
My interior light comes on when I open the passenger door, but not the drivers door.
I had to replace it years back and it hasn’t worked since. Also I never installed the spring in the door where the hinges are the pushes the piece against the roller. (If that makes sense).
I was thinking it had something to do with being grounded properly when the door opens as there is no buttons or switched that I can see on either door. And while playing with the working passenger door, the light does not come on until it opens to a certain point, and it seams about when the roller hits the bar that the spring is pushing on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The pin switches are in the end of the dashboard IIRC. I know 95 up are, not entirely sure about the earlier trucks, but it makes sense that they would be. The pin switches are all plastic too so they don't last as long.