Im glad i found you guys!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brokeguy68

Reaction score
Hello all!
ive had my 1997 chevy z71 extended cab long bed for about 4 years. I purchased it with only 42,000 miles! for 3500 beans! a steal in my book! But 52,000 miles later i want to do some upkeep, and it seems like i found the place for tips and tricks. Im looking forward to polishing this thing up and putting another 100k on it. I like the gmt400 platform so much i picked up a 1999 suburban for the wife and kids. I've attached a picture of the suburban. its a great family car.

Ive also attached a picture of my truck now, with the rear tire off. im getting ready to take the bed off for frame painting and repairs. and with that said, im looking for tips on removing 2 bolts on the 8 foot bed.they are located above the spring and i cant get an impact gun at them. anyone know anything about this? i'll also have a picture of that bolt here too.
Thanks in advance,
Casey

You must be registered for see images attach

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Casey, and nice burb!

Welcome from Chicago! I actually just wrapped up this project on my own truck last week. Some tips:

- Only use 6 sided sockets, the 12 point sockets will strip the bolts easily
- I just used a socket/ratchet with a long pipe for leverage, they came right out (even after 18 Chicago winters)
- Don't rush frame prep before paint
- Replace the bolts with new when doing reassembly

There plenty of details in my build thread across several pages, if you're interested:

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...B-Build-Thread&p=845148&viewfull=1#post845148

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score

brokeguy68

Reaction score
Thanks everyone,
I got the bolts off the good old fashion way. a friend had a ratcheting closed box wrench with a swivel head that worked perfect, my sockets were starting to roll of the rusty bolt head and striping it, and all i needed to do was get a lower grip on the bolt. and it popped right off. im tearing through it all right now, sandblasting prepping and painting.

brokeguy68

Reaction score
RyanMerrick, This looks great! exactly what I'm doing. i hope mine comes out half this good. the New England winters have taken there toll.