Idle issue and long cranking times

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay so I just pulled the code and its throwing a code 44, which means: Oxygen (O2 Sensor Circuit (Lean Exhaust Indicated))

My interpretation of that, is that the 02' sensor is not necessarily bad, but the motor is running to lean which indicates a fuel problem. Is my thinking correct? Or is it simply a faulty 02 sensor?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I think you are correct but I would check fuel pressure just to make sure.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you are correct but I would check fuel pressure just to make sure.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

I will be checking the fuel pressure asap. I managed to locate new AC Delco fuel pumps for $49.95 online!

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Threw a SES light came on twice tonight, put about a 100 miles on it today and averaged 14.7 mpgs mixed highway/city driving so millage hasn't suffered at all. I think im going to replace the O2' sensor first, check fuel pressure and then most likely replace the fuel pump regardless for piece of mind.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, so I haven't had a chance to replace the fuel pump as im waiting for the new sending unit assy. to come in. But im starting to doubt its the fuel pump now. Its becoming almost un drivable. It almost always kills when shifting into reverse, unless you give it throttle.

I still get a code 44, but I don't feel that the o2' sensor would cause it to run this poorly. It does however seem to run worse when it gets to operating temp.

Need some ideas guys! Aside from fuel pump, what are your thoughts?