I can’t get my vortec 350 intake to seal (water leak)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trx125

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If there is any significant pitting around the water jackets of the head or intake I usually put a thin bead on sealant around the water jackets of both head and intake. I also do it just for sheets and giggles. I personally like to use the Right Stuff gasket maker, it's more expensive than the regular RTV but I've never had a leak after a repair. Just my .02. GL!

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aren't there a couple of bolts that need rtv on them too?

eric_ss

Reaction score
If there is any significant pitting around the water jackets of the head or intake I usually put a thin bead on sealant around the water jackets of both head and intake. I also do it just for sheets and giggles. I personally like to use the Right Stuff gasket maker, it's more expensive than the regular RTV but I've never had a leak after a repair. Just my .02. GL!

Yup, i’m Definitely doing the thin RTV layer next time. I’ll try the Right Stuff next time as well. I’m out of black so it’s perfect timing

eric_ss

Reaction score
Aren't there a couple of bolts that need rtv on them too?

I used Permatex #2 on the original bolts the first time I did the job. The 2nd time I used new Fel-Pro bolts that came pre-loaded with a thread locker/sealant.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did the intake on my 99 burb (150k), I used 4 of the old bolts with the heads cut off threaded into the front and back corners to help align the manifold so it didnt move around / squish out the rtv. Did a dry run first to see where it wanted to hang up.

I also let it set up for a day before doing a cooling system pressure test to check for leaks. Started up afterwards with no leaks.

Mine had leaked in the back originally and there was nothing obviously wrong with the old gasket when i pulled it apart. Coolant leaked out pretty good though when i pressure tested it.

Good luck

eric_ss

Reaction score
Ok, I put my phone on the back of my engine and turned it on to see if I could see where the coolant was leaking from. It’s definitely coming from higher up as it is leaking from behind where the bracket is. I did confirm that those bolt holes are blind and do not go through to a water jacket so something towards the top is leaking. Gonna put some RTV and wait a day for it to set before I start it next time.
You must be registered for see images attach

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was the valley between the intake and valve cover dry? Meaning...could it be leaking from the heater hose (or its connection in the intake) and running down to the back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eric_ss

Reaction score
Was the valley between the intake and valve cover dry? Meaning...could it be leaking from the heater hose (or its connection in the intake) and running down to the back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair question and it’s definately not that. I’ve been down that road and have a brass barb fitting in place of that terrible stock push fitting. It’s definitely leaking from the back of the gasket.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I too RTV water jackets at the slightest signs of pitting. Be sure to check both heads and intake. I had my marine intake planed planed prior to installation so only the heads got RTV. FWIW I've never fought the leaks that you are and have done my fair share of them. Oil pans on the other hand I've apparently been a bit stingy with WRT the RTV.