I added Sta-Bil and the engine started knocking. Uh Oh...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rod knock is very unlikely to be related to Stabil.

Stabil is useful, but if you put it in your emergency generator thinking the gas will still be good three years from now, you're mistaken. At the end of each mowing season, I put the last of my gas (maybe a month old) into my car's tank and burn it off. I keep about half a tank of gas in one of my mowers to tow firewood and other stuff around the yard during the winter. Come spring I burn off the rest of that gas and buy fresh gas from the local station.

Ethanol versus non-ethanol doesn't seem to be so much of an issue. The local gas station only sells non-ethanol, and it gums up every bit as fast as the ethanol gas.

A final note for those who own generators for emergency use - when your emergency is done, pickle your generator. Drain the gas out of it! Clean all the trash, spills, dirt, etc. off of it. Set it some place it won't get rained on, and bag it. Toss in some moth balls to keep the critters out.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A final note for those who own generators for emergency use - when your emergency is done, pickle your generator. Drain the gas out of it! Clean all the trash, spills, dirt, etc. off of it. Set it some place it won't get rained on, and bag it. Toss in some moth balls to keep the critters out.
I either drain mine or run the gas out. I bought a 8000 watt to run lights , freezer, fridge, and other small things in my house for Hurricane Laura. I have a little 3500 watt I bought before Ike that I used to make coffee outside with. It’s amazing how much a coffee maker will draw from your generator.

JimFixes

Reaction score
Quick update, I haven't had a chance to get out there, got some metal in my eye last week, planned to go out this weekend, and am now currently stuck on my butt in a boot with a lame foot. Little to no walking allowed. I will be taking everyone's advice and I will follow up when I have some more info.

Thank you all for taking the time to give me some feedback and help.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
...got some metal in my eye last week, planned to go out this weekend, and am now currently stuck on my butt in a boot with a lame foot....

Unsure of the chain of events here..... the metal in your eye, was it from steel toe boots??? Even if that's the case, not sure how the foot was damaged in the process of removing the steel toe from your eye.

JimFixes

Reaction score
The metal in my eye was from fixing the tip of a screwdriver with the belt sander, a spark made its way under my face shield and past my safety glasses and ended up melting to my contact. 1 in a million chance. The screwdriver looks nice though, went from broken and useless to a repaired handle and reformed and tempered tip.

You must be registered for see images attach

The middle one had a broken handle halfway down, drilled come holes in the original to lock in some new epoxy, poured a new handle using the old rubber sleeve as a mold, then added a JB-Weld striking surface. Impregnated the JB-Weld with some rubber dust to prevent shattering.

You can't just throw away a Bridgeport ya now.

The foot is due to a massive recent increase in exercising, I starting finally getting off my rear and working on my health and endurance, I went from barely moving and sitting on my butt in front of a computer most of the day to putting in about 3 miles or so a day and working on weight lifting and yoga all within a 1 month period. This apparently caused some issues. Turns out a 400+ pound man should maybe not go straight to running again after being sedentary... (down to 385 now though!)

The current hypothesis is either extensor tendonitis in both feet, or multiple micro-fractures of the bones, I go to the ortho Wednesday for diagnostics and hopefully a plan of action.

My wife made a good point, can't drive the truck if I can't use my foot.

Damn her and her logic!

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My wife made a good point, can't drive the truck if I can't use my foot.
You can drive with your left foot lol. My sisters boyfriend got in a fairly nasty motorcyle wreck year and a half ago. Broke both bones in his forearm and broke his right leg in 8 places and some bones in his foot. After the pain meds got cut down he still drove so it is still possible lol. Might not have been the smartest thing to do though.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can drive with your left foot lol. My sisters boyfriend got in a fairly nasty motorcyle wreck year and a half ago. Broke both bones in his forearm and broke his right leg in 8 places and some bones in his foot. After the pain meds got cut down he still drove so it is still possible lol. Might not have been the smartest thing to do though.

After a broken right femur, I drove with my left foot for 6 months. You gotta want it.